Photo

Need help with parenting plan in Washington State ....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kusao1949

Kusao1949

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

My wife and I recently seperated and are now heading to divorce.We both have agreed on an uncontested divorce, hoping it would be somewhat simple. The problem I have ran into is with our children. We both thought that we could simply do joint custody, but it seems in Washington this isn't how it is done. We don't have alot of money right now since we are starting over, can one just get help with completing these forms "parenting plan" without spending thousands on legal fees? And I noticed there are not many attorneys here where I live as well, for a simple and no fighting divorce this is starting to look pretty ugly. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Our kids by the way are 12 and 14 years old. Thank you, by the way .. .we are going to move back to Oregon, Oregon does have Joint Custody or atleast used to would it be better to wait when we live there?

#2 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

You may wish to visit the Family Law Center and read Divorce as a good resource to learn more about this subject matter.

Hope that helps.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

You may also wish to visit the Washingtonlegalhelp.org Family Law section site to assist you regarding this matter.

#4 Kusao1949

Kusao1949

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

Thank you I will do that.

#5 Ted_from_Texas

Ted_from_Texas

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,993 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

Not sure who told you Washington doesn't "do" joint custody, because it most assuredly does. In fact, it's the rule rather than the exception in divorce cases with minor children. Perhaps you misunderstood, or your informant misunderstood, or there's some confusion over terminology. I suggest you speak with a local family law attorney who can explain it all to your satisfaction. Many attorneys will offer an initial consultation for free or a reduced rate.

If you need help filling out the forms, as opposed to seeking legal advice, you might try a free-lance paralegal. Check online or in your local Yellow Pages under "Paralegal Services." Good luck!

#6 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,554 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

We both thought that we could simply do joint custody, but it seems in Washington this isn't how it is done.

Perhaps you should define what you mean by "do joint custody" and explain why you think that "isn't how it is done" in Washington. You seem to be suggesting that a "parenting plan" is inconsistent with the notion of "joint custody." If that's the case, it's not.

can one just get help with completing these forms "parenting plan" without spending thousands on legal fees?

Yes.

I noticed there are not many attorneys here where I live as well, for a simple and no fighting divorce this is starting to look pretty ugly.

Not much to say about that without knowing where in WA you live, but any family law attorney can handle a "simple and no fighting divorce."

we are going to move back to Oregon, Oregon does have Joint Custody or atleast used to would it be better to wait when we live there?

I guess that depends on whether "we" includes all four of you, your spouse, and your two kids or whether you're only talking about you and your kids.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users