Query...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Slightofhand

Slightofhand

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:18 AM

Alright, here is the situation. My friend rents a 1 bedroom 1 bath from his land lord. They have no written lease or anything signed of the like. Rent is paid weekly, and he has receipts for all rent paid. The receipts are all filled out and signed by the land lord. All agreements are verbal only. The space he rents is connected and part of the land lords house. He has lived their for 6 months and receives mail at the address. State is Alabama.
Ok here's his concern,

1. Can she evict him from the property for no reason, under these circumstances?

2. If so, can he fight her legally?

#2 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

To learn more about this subject matter, you may wish to visit the Real Estate Law Center: Landlord-Tenant Law and read Eviction and Unlawful Detainer as a good resource. I also suggest you read the Alabama UNIFORM RESIDENTIAL LANDLORD AND TENANT ACT.

#3 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,392 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

Can she evict him from the property for no reason, under these circumstances?

No. No one in the history of the world has ever done anything "for no reason." There's always some reason. If your intent was to ask whether your friend's landlord can legally evict him for things other than non-payment of rent, excessive noise, etc., the answer is yes. He can be legally evicted for any reason other than because of his race, ethnicity, gender, etc. Your friend has what is typically called an at-will tenancy, which means that either the landlord or the tenant can terminate the tenancy at any time and for any reason, other than those things that are expressly illegal, by giving notice to the other.

If so, can he fight her legally?

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. In light of my response above, can you clarify your question?

#4 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

1. Can she evict him from the property for no reason, under these circumstances?

Actually, yes. In fact, with a week to week tenancy, she only hase to give him 7 days notice.

See statute 35-9A-441 (a).

http://law.justia.co.../35-9A-441.html

2. If so, can he fight her legally?

Not unless it's prohibited retaliatory conduct.

See 35-9A-501:

http://law.justia.co.../35-9A-501.html

You might get better comments if you explained exactly what's happening to him that giving rise to these questions.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users