precursor and intent to manufacture meth in mississippi

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bonkers1211lk

bonkers1211lk

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:15 AM

I would like to know if they can actually charge me with precursors and intent to manufacture when i just met this girl and it so happened the day we hook up the police raid her property. They didn't find anything in my vehicle or in the room i was in. They found the stuff in 3 seperate buildings on 20 acres of land and yet they gave me the same charges as her and me without knowing she had this stuff. Is this even possible and if they do charge me is there anyway of me flipping this around and them owing me for everything they put me through when i was innocent all along and they had to been watching her, so they knew that was the first time i was ever on that property. Can somebody please tell me that they really can't do this unless i lay down and allow it. If some one do know something please let me know and what law it is under so i can clear my name and don't have to be a felon for just visiting a friend. Nothing was being manufactured while i was there and much less did i have a clue what all she has on her 20 acres. THANK Y'ALL this is in Mississippi

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,786 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:32 AM

I would like to know if they can actually charge me with precursors and intent to manufacture. . . . Is this even possible. . . .

You said, "they gave me the same charges as her." If, in fact, they did this, then the answer to these questions seems rather obvious, doesn't it?

Arresting and charging you requires probable cause, not absolute certainty regarding guilt, and the police and prosecutor don't have to accept your claims of ignorance as true.

You need to speak with a local criminal defense attorney to discuss your defense strategy. If charges get dropped or you are acquitted, then you can discuss the possibility of a civil claim.

#3 bonkers1211lk

bonkers1211lk

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

yeah, i said that but you dont know how it is in this neck of the woods. The police here think they can make there own laws and the defense attorneys all are good ol' boys if you understand. I am mexican in a white folk town and yes there still is ignorant white people alot at that here. what they do is offer you 3 pleas and if you cop out to a plea then you are stuck with that where if you take it to trial you risk getting the max which is 30 years and can appeal. My ? was not if i should get a lawyer but what are the chances of me beating a case like this. Being nothing was close to me or in a small town like this where everybody knows everything THAT'S NOT MY M.O. So yeah they dont have evidence just the fact they raided 20 acres and i happen to be there so is that evidence. All i want to know is when my lawyer asks me to cop out to a plea should i fire him cause i can beat it because possession is 9/10's of the law and nothing was even near me or in my property. Lets say you stop at a garage sale and police raid should you go to prison for being there cause your there so how do they know your not in on it. Maybe now you'll understand.

#4 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,622 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

Possession in drug cases is not about ownership. It’s about whether you have knowledge of the drugs being there and have access to them. The cops don’t know when they raid the place what your relationship is with the girl you’re visiting; as far as they know, you may be participating in whatever drug activity she’s doing. So, you being there as an apparent friend or associate of the girl on property that has illegal drugs and/or precursors is probably enough for the probable cause the state needs to charge you. The cops and prosecutor don’t have to believe your statements that you didn’t know the illegal stuff was there and that you have no part in what the girl is doing. After all, most criminals say the exact same thing. You ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time. That sucks, but that’s not the state’s fault.

No one here can tell you whether to take the plea or go to trial. Your best advice on that comes from your lawyer, who knows the evidence against you and what juries in your area are likely to do with that evidence if you go to trial. If the folks in your county tend to be prejudiced against Hispanics, then that will make it that much harder to win the case if it goes to trial. The lawyer may believe that you are better off taking a sure deal on the table rather than rolling the dice on an uncertain outcome at trial. That doesn’t make your lawyer a bad lawyer, and I’d not recommend firing a lawyer solely because of that. You have the right to reject any plea deal and go to trial. So you have to decide whether you are comfortable letting a jury of folks in your “neck of the woods” decide this with the evidence the state has or take the deal the state offers instead.

#5 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

This issue is very difficult to address without having the detailed facts of your case. Like the previous poster state, this is a matter you should be discussing with a local Mississippi Criminal Defense Lawyer to advise you of your rights and options.

#6 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,786 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

My ? was not if i should get a lawyer but what are the chances of me beating a case like this.

Ok. If you think it is productive to quibble about what you asked previously, here's exactly what you asked previously: "Can somebody please tell me that they really can't do this unless i lay down and allow it[?]" And, while not phrased as a question, the following sentence is the functional equivalent: "I would like to know if they can actually charge me with precursors and intent to manufacture when i just met this girl and it so happened the day we hook up the police raid her property." I answered those questions.

As far as your new question about your "chances of . . . beating a case like this," I haven't the foggiest idea. First of all, I don't know what evidence exists or what sort of arguments the prosecutor might make. Second, you've basically said that the Constitution and rules of law -- which I would otherwise use to answer your question -- are meaningless where you live. If, in fact, you're correct, it sounds like you have no chance of beating the charge. Of course, I doubt you're correct, but I have no doubt you'll continue to believe what you want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users