Shared water meter

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kl972012

kl972012

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

I live in a house thats family owned. My brother used to live next to me. He recently moved out and sold his mobile home, but not the property. When they lived here, we shared a water meter. He never informed me that he told the people that bought the trailer that we were going to share the water meter. The water and all the other utilities are in my name. Can i legally shut the water off, and tell the new owners to get a water meter set? Or do i have to notify them before i do that? By the way, the property is in his name? Does that change anything?

#2 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Is there any contract or agreement regarding the use of the water meter?
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#3 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,144 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

I live in a house thats family owned.

What exactly does this mean? In other words, who actually owns the house? A "family" is not a recognized legal entity that is capable of owning property.

My brother used to live next to me. He recently moved out and sold his mobile home, but not the property.

Is this a separate piece of property from the property where you live? Does your brother own that property?

When they lived here, we shared a water meter. He never informed me that he told the people that bought the trailer that we were going to share the water meter. The water and all the other utilities are in my name. Can i legally shut the water off, and tell the new owners to get a water meter set?

Nothing in your post suggests you cannot. Of course, as my questions above indicate, your post is quite ambiguous. Additionally, determining whether something can or cannot be done legally obviously requires knowing the applicable law. Because you did not identify your state, we obviously cannot know the applicable law.

do i have to notify them before i do that?

This appears to be the same question. Aside from the legalities, why wouldn't you give this other person prior notice? Absent some reasonable explanation why you wouldn't do so, I would submit that only a real a-hole would do something like this without any warning.

By the way, the property is in his name?

I have to assume that "his name" refers to your brother since you said he sold the mobile home but not the property on which it is located. I also have to assume that you're talking about the property on which the mobile home is located, but not the property on which you live.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users