Jury Duty Pay for New Employees

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 renee5224

renee5224

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

We pay our employees for up to 2 days of jury duty. Is this a law in NY, and if so, would an employee who is still within her first 90 days of employment need to be compensated?

#2 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

You may want to read the Laws of New York: Judiciary Section 519. For further clarification on this matter, you may wish to consult with a local New York Employment Lawyer. Also, you may want to visit the Employment Law Center and read Jury Duty and an Employee's Right to Pay as a good resource.

#3 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:58 AM

We pay our employees for up to 2 days of jury duty. Is this a law in NY, and if so, would an employee who is still within her first 90 days of employment need to be compensated?

I don't think there is any law anywhere that says you have to pay your employees when they take time off for jury duty.

Your company's lawyer can verify that for you.

Whether or not you pay a probationary employee depends on what your company benefit policy is.

What does it say about any benefits accruing within the first 90 days probationary period?

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users