how to find details on my great- grandfathers case

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johnny67

johnny67

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

I would like to know how I would find charges, details , specifics for a case that went to appellate court in 1936? I have the findings from the court of appeals based on other cases but it does not go into the details of his?

People V. Matiasevich 12 Cal.App 2d Supp. 759 Crim. A. No. 1315 March 16,1936

#2 LegalwriterOne

LegalwriterOne

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,649 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

Assuming the trial court kept the file, which is not a given due to the age, it would only be available on microfiche at the courthouse in the clerk's office.

#3 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

I would like to know how I would find charges, details , specifics for a case that went to appellate court in 1936? I have the findings from the court of appeals based on other cases but it does not go into the details of his?

People V. Matiasevich 12 Cal.App 2d Supp. 759 Crim. A. No. 1315 March 16,1936

Appears that your great-grandfather was charged with a crime, tried, and then had the case dismissed. The prosecution appealed the dismissal claiming that there had been no trial, apparently with the aim of bringing the defendant to trial. The appellate ruled that there had been a trial and that he could not be tried again.

http://law.justia.co...12/supp759.html

You would have to visit the courthouse records department and search through the archived files (likely on microfilm) to find the case file.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#4 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

To research case law, you may wish to visit the FindLaw for Legal Professionals and use the Search for a Case feature as a good resource.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users