Reverse Discrimination

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Misstreated_1972

Misstreated_1972

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

I am the only Caucasian ( also female ) employee at my work place. ( Discount Store ) The rest are Filipino with the majority being Hispanic. The Hispanics speak both English and Spanish but will speak Spanish among themselves. I know enough Spanish to know when it is being used to exclude myself and non Spanish speaking coworkers from their conversations. The Hispanics will speak Spanish in my presence as well as coworkers and customers. All of upper Management are Hispanic and only Hispanics have been promoted. Not only am I subjected to discrimination but also nepotism. The store Manager has hired her brothers girlfriend and her boyfriends cousin and promoted them both in a weeks time. I am treated very poorly by Hispanic customers who speak very rudely to me for not being fluent in Spanish. My question is " Is any of this behavior illegal and is my only choice of action to resign?

#2 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,551 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

The term "reverse discrimination" has become something of a popular misnomer. Either you've been discriminated against your race or other protected characteristic or not; it's not really "reverse" discrimination.

There's nothing unlawful about nepotism, though an employer's free to have a policy against it.

The rudeness you describe from customers isn't unlawful. You're free to complain to your regional manager and the EEOC about what you consider a hostile work environment from coworkers based on your race, of course.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

#3 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

To learn more about this subject matter, you may wish to visit the Employment Law Center and read Employment Discrimination as a good resource.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#4 Misstreated_1972

Misstreated_1972

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

Thank you for your help. I will do some more research on what is considered a hostile work environment and decide whether the best plan of action is to take my complaint to the regional manager or the EEOC or to merely find another job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users