• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 deegazz

deegazz

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

Hi,

My husband and I rent a duplex in upstate NY. When we moved in, certain things were not finished. Simple stuff that our landlord said would be fixed by the end of the first week that we did move in.
One, the hand rail for the steps, two, my bedroom door. Now the handrail is no biggie, my husband has since fixed that himself. Our door has no handle on it. Where there should be one, it is just a hole. We do have a young adult son who lives with us. The only way to insure any privacy for myself and husband is to put a rag in the whole where there should be a handle. Due to no handle, we also cannot shut our bedroom door without having to place something in front of it to keep it closed.
I've also been requesting that my landlord fix our back door. He did initially come in to look over the problem. The day he showed up, first thing that was said is "How did you break the door". After looking over the door, he saw he needed to fix the plate on the frame around it. We assumed that fixed the problem but it has not. We keep the door locked, however, my son can get in from the outside. Just takes twisting the nob and pushing with your weight. I needless to say, do not feel secure knowing my door can be opened (even when locked) with a little muscle. To sleep at night and feel somewhat secure, I have a dining room chair lodged up under the door handle. My landlord completely ignores any request to fix this problem. I don't feel as if I can complain without it affecting my husband's job. The company my husband works for does alot of work for our landlord. I would hate to see him (landlord) pull his work from the company thus causing alot of lost hours and lost work. I feel as if I am in a bind and cannot say anything to pressing.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Dee

#2 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

To learn more about your rights as a tenant, you may wish to visit the Real Estate Law Center: Landlord-Tenant Law and read Tenant Rights as a good resource.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#3 REattyOK

REattyOK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Both of these problems are super easy to remedy and won't cost you $10. Get a bedroom doorknob from the hardware store and install it in the existing hold. Problem solved. For the back door, sounds like the tongue isn't striking the doorjam fully and that requires only a minor adjustment to extend the tongue further or adjust the strikeplate to align with the tongue. Problem solved. My lease requires that the tenant perform minor repairs such as these as a part of his maintenance of the home. If you are worried about the relationship between your husband's employer and this landlord, and your husband has the unskilled ability to do these two repairs, just do them and move on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users