Photo

: Is service of pleadings on clients required in Nevada?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ozziera

ozziera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

Is there a rule or law that requires an attorney to serve copies of pleadings on his client that he has filed with the state district court in a post conviction case? Court is in 10th judicial district of Nevada.
If there is, what is the rule or law? Where can I find it?
Thank you, Ron

#2 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

Is there a rule or law that requires an attorney to serve copies of pleadings on his client that he has filed with the state district court in a post conviction case? Court is in 10th judicial district of Nevada.
Thank you, Ron

There probably isn't a specific rule or law requiring that. But you are welcome to read the Nevada Rules of Criminal Procedure:

http://law.onecle.co...dure/index.html

But he's your attorney, he should give you copies for the asking because he works for you.

Did you ask for them? What did he say?

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#3 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,650 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:44 AM

Thank you, Ron

The rule you are looking for won't be found, as AdjusterJack suggested, in the Nevada criminal law. This is instead a matter addressed by the Nevada Rules of Professional Conduct, which are the rules that govern the practice of law in the state. Rule 154 deals with communication with the client:

Rule 154 Communication

[1] A lawyer shall keep a client reasonably informed about the status of a matter and promptly comply with reasonable requests for information.

[2] A lawyer shall explain a matter to the extent reasonably necessary to permit the client to make informed decisions regarding the representation.

So, the answer to your question is that no rule specifically requires that the attorney copy you on everything he files with the court. However, he must at least keep you reasonably informed of the status of the case and he must promptly comply with reasonable requests for information. If you want copies of this stuff, simply contact the lawyer and ask for a copy of it.

#4 ozziera

ozziera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

Thank you, Ron

The attorney does not respond to letters or phone messages and never seems to be in the office. Any ideas????????

#5 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,897 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:26 AM

The attorney does not respond to letters or phone messages and never seems to be in the office. Any ideas????????

Seek out a new/different attorney.

#6 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

I agree with the previous poster, you may wish to consult with a different local Lawyer to advise you on this matter.

#7 ozziera

ozziera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

I agree with the previous poster, you may wish to consult with a different local Lawyer to advise you on this matter.

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure how to get another attorney as this current attorney was appointed by the judge. The current attorneys client is Incarcerated. any suggestions.
thanks, Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users