firing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wildcats12

wildcats12

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:59 AM

Im a manager at a fast food place in ky. An employee asked if i could tell him his hours for the week. So i look and tell him. He then advised me he had like 2 hours of overtime. I then go look at the payroll report and see someone had changed his time. He got upset and requested a copy of the report. I gave it to him so he could ask the district manager about it. So are they allowed to fire me for giving him the information even if it had no other employees personal information on it?

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,255 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:06 AM

Unfortunately, a lot of folks mistakenly believe that employers need objectively good reasons to fire employees.

Unless an employee (1) has a contract of employment with the employer that limits the employer's ability to fire the employee or (2) is a member of a labor union that has a collective bargaining agreement with the employer, the employer may legally fire the employee for virtually any reason other than discrimination based on race, ethnicity, gender, etc. (there are similar limitations applicable to some governmental employees).

#3 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,756 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

So are they allowed to fire me for giving him the information even if it had no other employees personal information on it?

In short, yes. When the employer is not a government agency, then the employer may legally fire you for any reason (or no reason at all) except for a few reasons prohibited by law. The prohibited reasons include firing you because:[list]
[*]of your race, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetic test information under federal law (some states/localities add a few more categories like sexual orientation);
[*]you make certain kinds of reports about the employer to the government or in limited circumstances to specified persons in the employing company itself (known as whistle-blower protection laws);
[*]you participate in union organizing activities;
[*]you use a right or benefit the law guarantees you (e.g. using leave under FMLA);
[*]you filed a bankruptcy petition;
[*]your pay was garnished by a single creditor or by the IRS; and
[*]you took time off work to attend jury duty (in most states).
[/list]

While the termination may not be "wrongful" you likely do still qualify for unemployment benefits if you are fired over this. Go ahead and apply, it costs you nothing to try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users