Questionable Procedures

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lmclean82

lmclean82

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

I am the mother of a 4th grader in Tennessee. Recently my child has brought to my attention that his teacher is retaining him from his related arts classes (gym, music, art, library, technology, and guidance) to complete work he has not finished in class. His teacher constantly complains to us that his grades are less than what she expects and makes us feel as parents that we are to blame for his educational problems. There has been no mention of testing him for any disability and there has been no request by his teacher to do IEP testing. When I confronted her by email about my issues with her keeping him from other classes outside her room she threatened me with legal action. What can I do legally to help my child when the school is backing their teacher and refusing to help our child in any way?

#2 Ted_from_Texas

Ted_from_Texas

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,946 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

Have you discussed this with the school's principal or someone in the district superintendt's office? What do they have to say? What do the related arts teachers have to say about your child's absence from their classes due to this teacher's action?

It's impossible for anyone here to comment on whether there's anything actionable in your email, since you don't say what's in it.

#3 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,189 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

Your post raises no legal issue. The teacher's threat to take legal action in response to your e-mail tells me either that the teacher is crazy or that your e-mail went way over the top. You need to follow the school/district's chain of command. Ultimately, if you're unable to resolve the issue to your satisfaction, you may need to consider a different school.

#4 lmclean82

lmclean82

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

We have a conference with the school principle today. I share the opinion that I need to remove my child from the school, but ultimately that is also something the principle has to ok. As for the email. I stated very bluntly that the only way that I would be satisfied is if our requests are granted. I also stated bluntly that I felt that this teacher is not doing her job as an educator to constantly tell my son that she is too busy to help him with his misunderstandings and to "put his thinking cap on." I went through the same problems with this school where my daughter was concerned. Any time issues arise with a student they send copies of communication be it email or in writing to their school attorney for review. They started using this practice when the principle at the time got into a physical altercation with a parent off school grounds over his lack of interest in their child. They refuse to hold back children in this elementary school stating that statistically it shows that students held back at this age are more likely to drop out of school when they are older. They also blame any issue a child has solely on the parent. My daughter is now repeating the 6th grade in a middle school in rutherford county but her needs are finally being met. They never were at this elementary school. Thank you so much for your input. Both of you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users