9 1/2 years later she's wanting money.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jasth032475

jasth032475

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

I got my divorce finalized about 9 1/2 years ago. We never had kids together and we live in Indiana. To clear that up. I was told by her daughter the other day that her mom, my exwife, is planning to take me back to court for money I owe her from the divorce. She's known where I worked and lived since the divorce and we've actually stayed "friends" through the last 7 years or so cause the kids and I have stayed close. She has 2 from other guy. My grandfather told her at my moms funeral, that when they (my grandparents) die, I will never want for anything. My grandparents are now both deceased and nothing is settled in the estate. So no clue what I am inheriting. So since my grandfather told her I would basically be well off, she is now wanting to take me back to court after 9 1/2 years to get this inheritance. I've given her money when she needed it along with her kids when they needed it. Never an issue. Never brought up before til I told her I wasn't speaking to her after she went off the deep end cause of who I was and still am dating. So I had to talk to her again to keep her from making my life hell. Thought I had better tell the story so maybe you'll know more of where I'm coming from and why I want to prevent this from happening. In the divorce hearing she wanted half of the $1000 my grandparents gave me from the burial insurance they had on my mom. Her own attorney told her no and that it was wrong. So all help will be appreciated. Hopefully there is a time limitation on this. thank you

#2 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

I don't know why you are even talking to this lunatic. Unless you are some sort of masochist that likes getting his buttons pushed.

I would tell her to pound sand and then stop talking to her.

"Planning" to take you to court is a far cry from actually taking you to court.

So, until you get served, treat it as hot air designed to upset you. That's what lunatic ex-wives do. Don't let it get to you.

If she does go through with her threat I don't think there is any way she will win.

There probably is a statute of limitations but a quick look through the IN statutes didn't reveal it.

You ought to be able to find out real quick with a phone call to any divorce attorney.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#3 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,067 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

First of all, I think you're probably putting the cart before the hose. Second, it's not clear whether your ex-wife might hypothetically be seeking (a) to enforce a judgment or order that obligated you to pay something that you didn't pay, or (B) something else. It should go without saying that someone you divorced nearly a decade ago has no entitlement to an inheritance you may or may not receive now. However, if your divorce decree obligated you to pay something that you didn't pay, then that may still be enforceable. I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point since it sounds like nothing more than a second-hand threat. If and when she takes some action, consult with a local attorney for advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users