Terminated from Job for No apparent reason

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mysteria319

Mysteria319

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:10 AM

I was terminated from my job for no apparent reason. I have been working for this company for 4 years. They gave me a letter and informed me my services are no longer needed, They also informed me they will not fight me for unemployment. Since we had hurricane Sandy they didn't give me proper office to work in either. I need to know what to do next, For when I called to speak to the human resources person to find out why she told me for no reason I was fired. This don't make no kind of sense, For it can't be job performace for I had very good job performance.

#2 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,579 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

I was terminated from my job for no apparent reason. I have been working for this company for 4 years. They gave me a letter and informed me my services are no longer needed, They also informed me they will not fight me for unemployment. Since we had hurricane Sandy they didn't give me proper office to work in either. I need to know what to do next, For when I called to speak to the human resources person to find out why she told me for no reason I was fired. This don't make no kind of sense, For it can't be job performace for I had very good job performance.

1 - They don't need a reason. You are likely employed "at will" which means you can be fired for any reason or no reason as long as it doesn't violate any anti discrimination laws.

2 - They did give you a reason. They don't require your services anymore. That's a reason. Might not be a reason that sits well with you but it's still a reason and you aren't entitled to any more than that.

What you do next is file for unemployment and start looking for another job.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#3 NewYorkEmploymentAttorney

NewYorkEmploymentAttorney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:30 AM

This answer is only meant for you if you reside and work in New York State. Unfortunately, New York State is an At-Will Employment State meaning that no reason is required at all to termiante an employee. Often, simple economics is the cause of a lay off or termination. Your next step should be contacting the unemployment agency as soon as possible and revising your resume to optimize your chances of finding employment.

www.QueensEmploymentAttorney.com
Posted ImageThis answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to matters in New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us at our website: www.QueensEmploymentAttorney.com or via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/EmployAttorney) or Facebook (http://www.facebook....RicottaandMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

#4 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

To learn more about your rights as an employee, you may wish to visit the Employment Law Center and read Losing a Job as a good resource regarding this subject matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users