• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 harryhouston

harryhouston

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

Hi,

I had parked my motorcycle beside a disabled parking spot on the yellow lines, but the lines had washed off on the area I had parked.
Also, I wouldn't mind paying the ticket for my unknowing-mistake, but the ticket is for $500! And being an international student on a scholarship, I cannot afford to pay that much! And this is my first offense!

What are your thoughts about contesting it for a lower fine or dismissing it altogether!

Details:-

Parked in- Houston, Texas, at a parking lot in a mall.

The ticket has a check-mark against: "Parked in an handicapped zone"

There are comments in the notes that say: "Parked in reserve access zone - crosswalk aisle for disabled"

I had parked between a car in the disabled-spot, and the end of the curb. The yellow lines ran from the disabled-car spot to only midway to the curb (about 5 feet of the 10 feet distance between car-spot and the curb). I had parked on the other half of that area where the paint was off, the one closer to the curb.

Please let me know if you need any other information, I do have the picture but can't find a way to post it here.

#2 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

You may want to visit the Traffic Tickets Center: Traffic Tickets and read Deciding if Fighting Traffic Tickets Is a Good Idea as a good resource to learn more about this subject matter.

#3 harryhouston

harryhouston

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Thank you for your reply, I have read through the page, although it doesn't give enough suggestions about my particular case.

I am still waiting for replies that could help me in my specific situation.

Thanks.

#4 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,637 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

It's not possible to prove much specific comment because there is insufficient information. You did not indicate where this occurred (e.g. city and state) and what state statute or local ordinance you were charged with violating. We also have no details about how exactly you were parked and how the area was marked. Note, though, that generally speaking parking violations have a fixed fine for them, meaning that if you are guilty of the offense the court doesn't have discretion as to what fine to impose — the statute or ordinance simply specifies the amount of the fine.

#5 harryhouston

harryhouston

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

@Tax_Counsel- thank you for pointing out the blanks, I have edited my post, please advise! Thanks!

By the way, I am thinking of claiming that I mistook the 5 feet wide un-painted strip of land to be a regular motorcycle parking spot, since there were no markings as well as no sign stating otherwise. Do you think this defense will work?

#6 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,837 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:26 AM

Take pictures of the place where you parked and argue that it was improperly marked.

#7 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

@Tax_Counsel- thank you for pointing out the blanks, I have edited my post, please advise! Thanks!

By the way, I am thinking of claiming that I mistook the 5 feet wide un-painted strip of land to be a regular motorcycle parking spot, since there were no markings as well as no sign stating otherwise. Do you think this defense will work?

The risk of claiming you made a mistake is that you get told ignorance is no excuse.

I think I'd limit my defense to improperly marked and show the photos.

No guarantee though.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users