Wrongful Termination

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TXlakegirl

TXlakegirl

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

I was an instructor for a community college in Texas, wrongly terminated due to false information from my supervisor. Does the fact that the entitiy is a college limit my legal battle against it?

#2 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,845 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Depends on how you define "legal battle" and it's unclear how the employer committed any wrong. If your supervisor defamed you/lied about you to get you fired for personal reasons, your beef is with your supervisor as an individual. Your post is short on detail, but seek local counsel if you believe there's a lawsuit here.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

#3 NYCEmploymentAttorney

NYCEmploymentAttorney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

In New York State, the fact that your employer is a college would not limit your legal rights to pursue viable employment law claims against it.

www.QueensEmploymentLaw.com

#4 TXlakegirl

TXlakegirl

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

Thanks thats what I needed to know, my supervisor did not follow college policy in evaluating me. Now she is threatening my ex-students with expulsion if they have any contact with me at all! I believe there is more to her reasons for terminating me, I have had one meeting with the college president & will exhaust all administrative avenues before hiring a lawyer I had just signed a new contract in August 2012 for another year!

#5 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

To learn more about this subject matter, you may wish to visit the Employment Law Center: Losing a Job and read Wrongful Termination as a good resource. For further clarification, you may want to discuss this with a local Texas Employment Lawyer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users