Turn Signal Failure

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nlo1977

nlo1977

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

My son received his first ticket this morning in Orlando,FL. The fee was for $164 and 3 points off his license. Cop stated that "turn signal-failure to use while in traffic affecting vehicles traveling in the fast lane when driver changed lanes from the slow lane to the fast lane". My son says he did put his signal real quick and then took it off. My question is, does anyone know if I could/should fight this in court?

#2 GuessAgain

GuessAgain

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,083 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

HE can argue it BUT he needs to signal and leave it on long enough for the other vehicles around him to see it before making the movement. He has signal BEFORE making the movement, not start signaling after he's already started moving over.

#3 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

You may want to visit the Traffic Tickets Center: Traffic Tickets and read Deciding if Fighting Traffic Tickets Is a Good Idea as a good resource.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#4 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,401 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

My son received his first ticket this morning in Orlando,FL. The fee was for $164 and 3 points off his license. Cop stated that "turn signal-failure to use while in traffic affecting vehicles traveling in the fast lane when driver changed lanes from the slow lane to the fast lane". My son says he did put his signal real quick and then took it off. My question is, does anyone know if I could/should fight this in court?

I can't conceive why you would think that you would have any ability to fight your son's ticket. Is he a minor?

In any event, your son's statement doesn't really help us analyze the situation since we have zero additional information. What exactly did he do? Apparently, he changed lanes, but how many lanes was the road? "From the slow lane to the fast lane" could be a change from one lane to the next or could involve changing over 5 or 6 lanes. What was the traffic like? What about the road conditions? How long is "real quick"? How close were the nearest other cars? How fast was traffic flowing? How fast was your son driving? What specific section of the Florida Statutes was he cited for violating? At what point in the lane change process did he turn on the signal? At what point did he turn it off?

#5 nlo1977

nlo1977

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

Yesterday when I posted this I hadn't spoken to my son in person so he could explain everything how it had happened. And yes he is a minor, he's 17. Anyway, it looks like the cop was following him from the beginning from around home. The cop was behind him the whole time so my son told me how was he not going to do everything right if he knew the cop was behind him. He was going straight and when he put his signal to make a right on a street the cop also made the right and then when my son put the left signal to get on the left lane because his High School is on the left hand side, the cop got behind him on the left and turned on his lights. He then went up to my son and asked for license and registration and went back to his car. Later he came back with his license and registration and the ticket which he never told him from the beginning why he had stopped him. On the ticket it said that he went from the slow lane to fast lane endangering uncoming traffic which my son said it was 6:45am and there were no cars around. He said he made sure there was no cars especially since he knew the cop was behind him. To me the cop was just looking for anything to give him a ticket, why didn't he tell him from the beginning why he stopped him? He had to wait to go back to his car to then think of something.

#6 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,401 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

Anyway, it looks like the cop was following him from the beginning from around home. The cop was behind him the whole time so my son told me how was he not going to do everything right if he knew the cop was behind him.

If the presence of a cop is going to cause your son to be unable to follow the rules of the road, then he shouldn't be driving.

To me the cop was just looking for anything to give him a ticket, why

And he apparently found something.

why didn't he tell him from the beginning why he stopped him?

I don't think it's terribly productive to ask folks on a message board why some person did or did not act in a certain way. We certainly could guess, but I don't see any value in that.

He had to wait to go back to his car to then think of something.

Now you're guessing. I don't think that's terribly productive either.

#7 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

why didn't he tell him from the beginning why he stopped him?

Because he didn't have to.

If your son is eligible for traffic school that keeps the ticket off his record, he should take it.

He's not going to win this.

The judge hears driver's excuses all day every day and will believe the officer and not your son.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users