• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Misserious

Misserious

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

Hi June73,
I am going through the same thing right now with my boyfriend and his son. We consulted with a lawyer and the lawyer suggested we get legalize married first, then I can try to adopt the son. There is something called Involuntary Termination Rights (ITR), the lawyer said, and that we could go through that route if the mother doesn't want to give up her rights. I did some research and found that you'd have to, obviously, have evidence that the bio mother is an unfit mother. I don't know how we're going to prove that the mother is on drugs, she hasn't called ever since she neglected her son and my boyfriend and I went to pick him up from the mother's boyfriend's house. The mother isn't living a stable life. She cheated on her boyfriend, who she had two other children with, took off and went and live with her new boyfriend. She has been moving around that town she is now residing. My boyfriend now has physical placement, primary custody, and child support. Child support can't track her down because she doesn't work. Now, she is coming back to try and fight for the son back. What are the chances that the judge will grant her that. I love that boy to death. He has gotten attached to me. I do everything my with my kids and that boy. I'm scared to death just the thought of him possibly going back to his bio mother because of all the bad things she did and been doing from mutual friends that know her and knows my boyfriend and especially from her ex-boyfriend, the father of her other 2 younger children. My boyfriend's son is the older child of her kids. Help please.

#2 missingmyhubby

missingmyhubby

Bronze Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

Hi June73,
I am going through the same thing right now with my boyfriend and his son. We consulted with a lawyer and the lawyer suggested we get legalize married first, then I can try to adopt the son. There is something called Involuntary Termination Rights (ITR), the lawyer said, and that we could go through that route if the mother doesn't want to give up her rights. I did some research and found that you'd have to, obviously, have evidence that the bio mother is an unfit mother. I don't know how we're going to prove that the mother is on drugs, she hasn't called ever since she neglected her son and my boyfriend and I went to pick him up from the mother's boyfriend's house. The mother isn't living a stable life. She cheated on her boyfriend, who she had two other children with, took off and went and live with her new boyfriend. She has been moving around that town she is now residing. My boyfriend now has physical placement, primary custody, and child support. Child support can't track her down because she doesn't work. Now, she is coming back to try and fight for the son back. What are the chances that the judge will grant her that. I love that boy to death. He has gotten attached to me. I do everything my with my kids and that boy. I'm scared to death just the thought of him possibly going back to his bio mother because of all the bad things she did and been doing from mutual friends that know her and knows my boyfriend and especially from her ex-boyfriend, the father of her other 2 younger children. My boyfriend's son is the older child of her kids. Help please.

you need to step back here you are way too involved. this is your bf's issue to deal with you are a legal stranegr and this is not your legal business. she is not bio mom she is mom the only mom this child has. and wether or not mom cheated on her bf is not your business.you have no rights or standing to do anything where your bf's son is concerned, you are noone legally to him.even if you and your bf marry.

#3 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

In almost all situations, a court will keep one primary question in mind when deciding a custody case, namely, what is in the best interests of the child. To learn more about this subject matter, you may wish to visit the Family Law Center and read Child Support as a good resource.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#4 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,395 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

I am going through the same thing right now

Same thing as what?

As for the rest of your post, you didn't ask a question (except to say "Help please"). Therefore, I'm not really sure what sort of response you're expecting or seeking.

I gather that you would like to adopt your boyfriend's child. You said that you consulted with an attorney who advised you to get married. It is certainly true that, in many or most states, a court will not approve an adoption by a boyfriend/girlfriend of one of the parents. But all states will approve stepparent adoptions under proper circumstances, but the marriage must usually be in place for a year at least before an adoption will be approved. You'll need to speak with an attorney in your unidentified state to find out what courts in your area will and won't approve.

Additionally, the adoption will only happen if the mother consents or her rights are terminated. The circumstances under which a parent's rights may be terminated involuntarily obviously vary from state to state. Therefore, without knowing what state you're in, there's nothing we can tell you. Again, consultation with a local attorney would be wise. Adoptions are not simple matters or good do-it-yourself projects even in the best of circumstances, and you don't have anything close to the best of circumstances.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users