Jump to content


Reasonable sleeping arrangements of NCP

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OHmom98


    New Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

I live in Ohio, my ex husband and father of my 2 children lives in Indiana. He has visitation with them alternating years for Christmas/New Year's, every other spring break, and for 4 weeks in the summer from Father's Day for 4 additional weeks. When my children, ages 7 and 3 visit him, I am concerned for the sleeping arrangements of my oldest. He lives with his fiance' and her mother in a small 2 bedroom apartment that is about 800 sq feet. They just bought a small cot for the littlest one which they put in their room. My oldest sleeps on the couch. The problem that arises is that they stay up to watch tv which is in the living room on the sleeper sofa. Sometimes they do not go to bed until midnight or 1 am and my daughter has to try to sleep on the couch while they watch tv. She says she takes her blankets and covers her eyes so the light from the tv doesn't bother her and cannot fall asleep. I'm concerned she isn't getting her rest.

Is this appropriate for her? Sleeping on the sofa I understand, it is her not getting to fall asleep each night until very late that concerns me. Is there something I can do? In Ohio, I need to have reason to modify the custody arrangement, which I believe i have when I last exchanged the children with them (the ex and his fiance) due to his fiance jumping in regarding agreements and then making fun of me and almost getting up to punch me when I told her arrangements concerning the children are not her business. I ended up calling the police. I'm not sure what to do as my ex bullies me on every thing we discuss.

#2 Ted_from_Texas


    Platinum Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,233 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

What time your daughter gets to sleep at night is less important than how much sleep she gets. Apparently the visits are while school is out, so presumably whenever she's up until midnight or later, she can sleep in the next morning. Is that not the case?

if you suspect that your daughter isn't getting enough sleep and your ex is unwilling to discuss the matter, you should have a chat with her pediatrician. If the doctor observes symptoms of sleep deprivation, his or her report should be the grounds you need to seek to have the visitation arrangements modified appropriately. Consult local counsel.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

Have you read the Ohio Revised Code: Chapter 3127: UNIFORM CHILD CUSTODY JURISDICTION AND ENFORCEMENT ACT? Also, as the previous poster stated, you may wish to consult with a local Ohio Family Lawyer for clarification.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users