Affair with Substance Abuse Counselor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mo1927

Mo1927

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

My now ex-husband had a sexual affair with his substance abuse counselor. She is a direct cause of why we are no longer married.

I filed a complaint against her with the local viriginia board and her license was revoked.

The affair happened in October/November 2010 and her license was finally revoked about a year later in 2011.

She worked for a licensed therapy group at the time.

I would like to know if I can sue the owner of the therapy group and the actual person who had the affair with my now ex-husband?

There is a lot more to this story, but wanted to at least know if I could sue at all and if so, what type of suit, Malpractice?

#2 LegalwriterOne

LegalwriterOne

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,701 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

No. VA abolished such causes of action, effective in 1968.

#3 Mo1927

Mo1927

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

Abolished what cause of action? Your answer is very vague and you don't site the actual law you are talking about. I think I'll talk to an actual attorney. And how would something like this be abolished in 1968? So, since 1968, nobody has been able to sue a licensed professional in the state of Virginia for sexual misconduct or malpractice? I'll look up the laws on my own. Thanks anyway.

#4 LegalwriterOne

LegalwriterOne

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,701 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

The cause of action is called "alienation of affection." People used to be allowed to sue the person who "lured" their spouse away from the marriage. Those causes of action were abolished in most states, including yours (VA code 8.01-220) so you cannot sue.

#5 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

Have you read the Code of Virginia ยง 8.01-220. Action for alienation of affection, breach of promise, criminal conversation and seduction abolished?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users