Permission to search your vehicle

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wheatman

wheatman

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

when a police officer pulls you over and they ask may i search your vehicle can you refuse it?

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,153 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

Of course you can. Think about it. If the answer were otherwise, there would be no reason for the officer to ask. Of course, the officer may have probable cause to search even if you deny permission.

#3 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

To learn more about this subject matter, you may wish to visit the Criminal Law Center: Criminal Rights and read Illegal Search and Seizure FAQ's as a good resource.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#4 BOR_BOR

BOR_BOR

Bronze Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

when a police officer pulls you over and they ask may i search your vehicle can you refuse it?

I don't think any state constitution forbids the mere question, as that would only be a "minimal intrusion" added to the length of the detention. However, once asked and permission is denied, which is your right, any further detainment without a legal reason would probably be considered an UNreasonable seizure under the 4th AM.

#5 Legal_Balla

Legal_Balla

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

Absolutely yes! Most of the time a police officer asks your permission to search, they don't have the required legal evidence (probable cause) to search without your consent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users