delivery of cocaine in illinois

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 confused3056

confused3056

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

does it matter the actual amount of cocaine that was delivered minus the added ingredients in the bag? Do you need an "expert" to testify in court about the actual amount of cocaine contained in the police's evidence? i ask cause my son was arrested for delivery of cocaine to undercover officers on 3 seperate occasions. once it was just under 2 grams but it was near a school which in il is a class x, the second time it was just under 2 grams again but not in a school zone, the third time no actual delivery was made but he was arrested and the police recovered just over 5 grams in his bookbag and it was in a school zone. my current attorney is recomending me paying a "drug expert" 1500 to testify in court for a motion he is presenting. also the state is currently only pursuing the first case which my sons lawyer contests was entrappment because the undercover office picked the meeting spot. I am so confused and maybe i dont ask the right questions but i need help figuring out what to ask the lawyer and where to go from here.

Thanks in advance,
Confused3056

#2 GuessAgain

GuessAgain

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,081 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

I am not licensed in your state but I have reviewed the relevant statutes. Unless the total amount exceeded 15 grams, I don't see the issue. That it may not have been "pure" doesn't mitigate the crime. The statutes includes a prohibition of supplying/selling/delivering a counterfeit substance.

#3 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

You may wish to visit the Illinois Law and read Illinois Cocaine Laws as a good reference regarding this subject matter.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#4 confused3056

confused3056

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

you don't see the issue? guessagain....i just don't understand what an expert can do to help my son by testifying since counterfeit is included as illegal.

#5 GuessAgain

GuessAgain

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,081 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

That's what I meant by not seeing the issue--I don't see where an expert testifying about the actual amount of pure drugs vs. the total weight with the added adulteration would serve any purpose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users