• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 birdmomdad

birdmomdad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

We live in Richland County SC. The property has burned out lights outdoors near walkways to parking lot, laundry room, mail boxes and common area's like the garbage dumpsters. I live here 5 years and there have been 3 owners at any given time due to this property being sold. I have complained numerous times and also when I paid my rent. I complained about broken lights. The manager in the office says it will be taken care of and it never gets fixed. Does the management owner of the property have to provide lighting to walk safely and to deter crime so that I can go to and from my apartment? We have an accident case that has not been closed yet. The property insurance company is seeking the copy medicare paid the hospital.

Does the property have to provide lights to get to the apartment without falling or being robbed. When we moved in the lighting was much better. Can I terminate my lease without penalty? It is unsafe to walk outside after dark here. I am afraid of getting mugged in the dark.

Thank you.

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,639 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

Does the management owner of the property have to provide lighting to walk safely and to deter crime so that I can go to and from my apartment?

There is no abstract requirement, but that doesn't mean the landlord might not be liable if someone is injured.

Does the property have to provide lights to get to the apartment without falling or being robbed.

I think this is basically the same question.

Can I terminate my lease without penalty?

No. Among other things, you said you've lived there for five years and have complained about this numerous times, yet you've apparently renewed your lease despite this issue.

It is unsafe to walk outside after dark here. I am afraid of getting mugged in the dark.

I would suggest that you start carrying a flashlight and/or that you start becoming a real thorn in your landlord's side (including organizing your fellow tenants to raise this issue as a group). You could also approach your landlord about allowing you to replace the light bulbs and deduct the cost from your rent. You could also ask if the landlord would agree to early termination of your lease.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

To learn more about this subject matter, you may wish to visit the Real Estate Law Center: Landlord-Tenant Law and read A Tenant's Rights to Landlord Repairs as a good resource. You may also wish to read the South Carolina Code of Laws: Title 27 - Property and Conveyances CHAPTER 40. RESIDENTIAL LANDLORD AND TENANT ACT to learn more about your rights as a tenant.

#4 birdmomdad

birdmomdad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:49 AM

I am here because of income since I am on social security. The rent was what keeps me in this location. The lights are on the second story of the building. I had submitted the medical bills from my fall and the police report from the mugging. A fellow neighbor with the same complaint as I did moved out. I am a senior citizen and the neighbor is about 1/2 my age and had complained that light was poor. He got fed up and moved. I am currently looking for another apartment I can afford. The place will not do anything about this problem. South Carolina seems to be a state without street lights. What can you do in such a backwards state.

#5 birdmomdad

birdmomdad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:48 AM

I was told that the property office has no ladder to go up the side of the building to replace burnt out light bulbs on the property. I did find this another excuse to ignore me and I do not believe them. I am thinking I am paying too much for renters insurance and since the property will not fix lights, maybe I should get rid of the insurance since nobody wants to fix anything here. It is a way of my saving money. And since I am not insured for my safety if I fall down in the dark then it is a waste isn't it After all I fell down once before. Just venting away here. They had me have a renters policy here requiring me to have twice the coverage as needed in this area. And all tenants must carry the amount. Not just me. I think it is insane.

#6 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,639 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

maybe I should get rid of the insurance since nobody wants to fix anything here.

Sorry, but this makes no sense. Renter's insurance has nothing to do with your landlord's refusal to fix the burned out lights.

It is a way of my saving money. And since I am not insured for my safety if I fall down in the dark then it is a waste isn't it

Ummm....no. Renter's insurance has two primary purposes: (1) to compensate you for damage to or loss of personal property located in your dwelling as a result of things like theft or a leaky roof or busted pipe; and (2) to indemnify you in the event a third party is injured in your dwelling or because of your negligence. Renter's insurance is not a substitute for personal medical insurance and, as far as I know, never provides coverage for injuries suffered by the insured.

They had me have a renters policy here requiring me to have twice the coverage as needed in this area. And all tenants must carry the amount. Not just me. I think it is insane.

Are you saying that a provision in your lease requires you to carry renter's insurance? Is your landlord named as an additional insured on the policy? If so, there's nothing "insane" about it (unless you're saying it was insane of you to agree to provide insurance coverage that benefits your landlord).

In any event, whatever your beef is about renter's insurance, it has nothing at all to do with the issue of the burned out light bulbs.

#7 birdmomdad

birdmomdad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:33 AM

I have been complaining to our property about the burnt out lights to the laundry room and the parking lot. This has been the fifth month I have complained. But no lights have been replaced. Actually, I have complained before this when we were under the older management. This property was sold a year ago.

And I also have complained about a sink faucet repair in the master bathroom. The maintenance man took away the old one and he said he would order a new one. We have working only the hot water in the sink. And they told me that the part has come in, about three weeks ago. But it still has not been repaired. We are retired and at home every day.

I have also complained about the flooding of my hall bathroom, from the bathroom above. Nothing has yet been done, to my knowledge.

Our apartment was inspected by the manager and two maintenance employees, about a month ago. They threatened us to remove cardboard boxes from the apartment. They had given us three days to do that on a Friday. We have hardly any furniture, caused by two evictions in our past. I cannot afford furniture. But now I fear that they will not repair anything until we remove boxes and possessions from the apartment. This lease is over in May, but both of us suspect that we will be evicted, or not asked to remain.

The furniture situation has been this way for about almost 6 years. We have had two owners since the one in our accident on the stairs that were unlighted at mail boxes, lawsuit. I am restricted from lifting heavy objects. My wife's Meniere's problem now is affecting her walking in the dark. This deterioration was expected, without further medical care, which we cannot afford. I fell down while getting my mail, in 2010. That case is ongoing. We are waiting for medicare bills to be sent to the property insurance company. They are slow.

May I break this lease on a medical explanation, without paying a break-lease charge? Since they will not replace the burnt out lights, and since we have been living with boxes, with the previous owners NOT concerned, then why are they bothering me now? It seems the new manager has not been friendly or wanting to fix the lights on the walks near our apartment. There is no concern for our safety.

Also, this current week, another apartment inspection is scheduled. I know our's will again fail. But our rents are paid on time. We were inspected a month ago. This has been done two times in the last year. They said the entire building will be inspected. I am not doing anything unlawful or with intent to damage the property. I am 77 years old and a law abiding person. My social security and medicare barley cover living expenses.

On apartment requirements, I am forced to carry $300,000 renters insurance policy to cover employee harm. Isn't there a contradiction with their NOT replacing burnt out lights? My insurance agent told me that this is much too high for the area. And he was trying to sell me a lower cost policy. We live in Columbia, South Carolina.

Before I raise hell in the office, I should appreciate your impression. Thanks in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users