ignition interlock devices & OR law

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rianal

rianal

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

if installed and maintained by an oregon DMV approved subcontractor, is it possible to purchase - rather than lease - an ignition interlock device?

thank you

#2 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:24 AM

if installed and maintained by an oregon DMV approved subcontractor, is it possible to purchase - rather than lease - an ignition interlock device?

thank you

Can't imagine that you can't buy instead of lease.

Should be easy enough to call a couple of suppliers and ask.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#3 rianal

rianal

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

well, yes, or so one would think. before posting, i'd called or web-visited every IID outlet i could find, and, counter-intuitively perhaps, have found none willing to sell - lease only.
it occurs to me that the technology is no more sophisticated than the average phone; specialty courts across the country are requiring IID's at a rapid pace - making rarity, or economic scale a non issue, and the outcome of a DUI (since 1/1/12) is so disastrous, i'd like to use it into the future.

i just don't want to pay for it several times over in the first year of use.

#4 rianal

rianal

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

also, the IID is the one and only item 've ever encountered that is not available on ebay, which strongly
suggests to me that those with state contracts much prefer the customer buy it over and over again, and therefore do not offer it for sale.

#5 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

Have you contacted the DMV regarding this matter?

#6 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

also, the IID is the one and only item 've ever encountered that is not available on ebay, which strongly
suggests to me that those with state contracts much prefer the customer buy it over and over again, and therefore do not offer it for sale.

I suppose that's just another of the many unpleasant consequences of drunk driving.

The unpleasant consequences are designed to deter people from drinking and driving.

Make the punishment as nasty as possible and hopefully people will leave their cars at home when they go drinking.

I guess you'll just have to live with the monthly fees.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#7 EXheavyhauler

EXheavyhauler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:49 AM

im no expert but i do have some experience with IID.s

As far as I know,if youve been convicted of a DUI and have been ordered to have one installed.....its not really costing to lease it its the monitoring of the device and the companies have to report (usually monthly)to the court in whichever jurisdiction.I dont really think it would save any to buy the device as most of the monthly costs are the monitoring/calibrations etc.every state has their own laws that varie somewhat but thats the majority of the costs....

But i woulld be curious if a normal non-court ordered person could purchase one???there not illegal so i cant imagine its impossible to purchase one....but with the constant calibations etc.i mean it woullnt be of much use

#8 Legal_Balla

Legal_Balla

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

The courts want control and information downloaded from the interlock device each month. That's the purpose of the lease agreement with the subcontractor, in addition to the millions of dollars the interlock companies make each year leasing the devices. Each month the interlock device is serviced and the data is documented for the court and prosecutors.

#9 oregoniid

oregoniid

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

The reason the units are leased is that in most cases they are calibrated (as required by Oregon law) every 60 days and a report is generated and submitted to Diversion monitoring agencies or the DMV. Installation, tampering and removal must be reported, and IID installers are required to maintain reports including failed tests or lockouts. If the device is not required by the court system or DMV, you may be able to purchase a unit from an authorized Oregon installer, although most companies do not offer them for sale.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users