Slip and Fall

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mamabear_1018

mamabear_1018

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

My 10 year old fell and hit his face on a towel disenser, which knocked his tooth loose. The investigation company for the store found the store to be liable. How is it determined how much compensation he is entitled to.

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,392 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

If, in fact, the store assumes liability or is found by a jury to be liable (just because some investigator "found the store to be liable" doesn't mean it actually is or that it will assume liability), you, on behalf of your son, will be entitled to the cost of his medical/dental treatment. You may also be entitled to compensation if you or the child's other parent lost wages as a result of the accident. You might also be entitled to something for "pain and suffering" (given the nature of the injury described, I wouldn't expect much more than a nominal amount for this).

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

To learn more about this subject, you may wish to read Slip and Fall Injures as a good resource. I also suggest you consult with a local Lawyer for further clarification on your claim.

#4 Whitster

Whitster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:40 AM

It is extremely rare for any entity to accept liability for a slip and fall accident. So, I would suggest exploiting the situation before they change their mind.
Compensation can be had for medical expenses and mental anguish. They will probably not offer more than a nominal sum for this relatively minor incident.
Drake Law Firm - Personal Injury Lawyers
http://www.drakelawal.com

#5 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:59 AM

If, in fact, the store assumes liability or is found by a jury to be liable (just because some investigator "found the store to be liable" doesn't mean it actually is or that it will assume liability), you, on behalf of your son, will be entitled to the cost of his medical/dental treatment. You may also be entitled to compensation if you or the child's other parent lost wages as a result of the accident. You might also be entitled to something for "pain and suffering" (given the nature of the injury described, I wouldn't expect much more than a nominal amount for this).

This may be splitting hairs but it's the child that would be entitled to compensation for the injury (if the store was liable) not the parent. The parent would be acting on behalf of the child in making the claim.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#6 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,392 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:14 AM

This may be splitting hairs but it's the child that would be entitled to compensation for the injury (if the store was liable) not the parent. The parent would be acting on behalf of the child in making the claim.

It is splitting hairs, and whether your statement is correct depends on the laws of the state where this occurred, which the poster didn't identify.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users