Photo

Car repaired - caught fire on way home and is totalled!!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JanetR1965

JanetR1965

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

I had my 1987 Blazer towed to **** for repair because it would stall out on me and would not start. They billed me $1089 for fuel pump. I asked if they could tell if there is any future problems taht could happen and he said "good to go" I get half way home and I smelled gas. When I rolled down my window (thinking it was from outside somewhere) I heard a POP! Smoke starting coming from engine! I pulled over quickly and got out. Fire was coming from the bottom. Within about 20 minues or so the Blazer is fried! I called **** and they sent their tow truck out. But, the city already said their tow truck has tow it. They towed it to **** who said they will pay the tow charges.NOW WHAT? I have no vehicle? Is this something I need a lawyer for? This is my only mode of transportation and I was going to use it on my job (postal delivery). What do I do :(

Edited by FindLaw_AHK, 11 October 2012 - 10:10 AM.
This post has been edited to remove personal or identifying information. -Moderator

#2 JanetR1965

JanetR1965

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

I don't know what kind of lawyer to call. They told me they only handle personal injury.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

What does the company your had your blazer repaired say about this matter?

#4 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

Also, have you contacted your car insurance company?

#5 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,828 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

I asked if they could tell if there is any future problems taht could happen

It's a 25 year old vehicle. Just about anything could happen at any time.

NOW WHAT? I have no vehicle? Is this something I need a lawyer for? This is my only mode of transportation and I was going to use it on my job (postal delivery). What do I do :(

I can't imagine your vehicle could be worth more than a couple thousand. Add the cost of the repairs, and you're looking at maybe $3k in damages at most, so no, I don't think hiring a lawyer would be worthwhile. I agree that you should contact your insurer to see if something like this would be covered (I doubt it, though). If you feel like you can prove this happened because of the repair shop's negligence, give it a shot in small claims court.

#6 JanetR1965

JanetR1965

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

It was due to their negligence. Fuel hose probably busted. We have photos of the fire dripping under the blazer before it blew.
Their claims dept already left me a voice mail message of the total loss and offering a rental.

#7 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,733 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

Their claims dept already left me a voice mail message of the total loss and offering a rental.

So accept the rental.

Looks like they are going to pay for your car, so what's your issue?

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#8 JanetR1965

JanetR1965

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

They called after I asked for advice on findlaw. They called and told me to call repair shop, but repair shop is onlly using *&^% rental car agency, which closes by 6pm M-F and Noon on Saturday.
As a mail carrier I had to borrow someone's car, which mailboxes scratched their side mirror. By the time I get off work and return their car - the reantal agency is closed. I will try again on my day off this week, but why am I the one to do without car?
Their faulty repair work fried my transporation.
I am in the process of typing a letter and wondered if there is any advice

#9 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,733 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

They called after I asked for advice on findlaw. They called and told me to call repair shop, but repair shop is onlly using *&^% rental car agency, which closes by 6pm M-F and Noon on Saturday.
As a mail carrier I had to borrow someone's car, which mailboxes scratched their side mirror. By the time I get off work and return their car - the reantal agency is closed. I will try again on my day off this week, but why am I the one to do without car?
Their faulty repair work fried my transporation.
I am in the process of typing a letter and wondered if there is any advice

If you incur any additional costs due to their negligence you'd be entitled to compensation for "consequential damages" but you might have to sue for it.

I would hold off on the letter till after you get your car back fully repaired and properly functional so you can turn in your rental and quantify your damages.

Then come back to this thread and discuss.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users