suspended license

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 steeler86

steeler86

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:23 AM

I recieved a ticket in Florida it was sent to my NJ address I contacted Florida they did not suspend my license they gave me a payment plan to satisfy the ticket yet NJ suspended my license for that same Florida ticket I had already changed my NJ license to Florida before this actual offense took place so how can NJ penalize me for an offense in another state enwhich I already reached an agreement with that state?

#2 GuessAgain

GuessAgain

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,081 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

Because what FL does carries no weight with what NJ decides to do under it's own laws. States independently get to decide their driver's licensing issues.

#3 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

What type of ticket did you receive? Were you a NJ license driver at the time you received your Florida citation?
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#4 lawlop

lawlop

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

It sounds like your privelge to drive may have suspended in Florida due to a late response on establishing the payment plan. If that is the case, the procedure would be to buy a clearance from the clerk in Florida, submit it to Fl. DMV asking for a letter of eligibility which you would give to NJ. Then N.J. may require a reinstatement fee.

The States belong to the interstate compact agreement which shares information among all states. It can take years for it to catch up which it will do eventually. Some states are supportive of each other and required clearing or being eligible for a license in the state which you have left for the State in which you are now a resident to be licensed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users