Unsafe Vehicle

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 STEVEK10

STEVEK10

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:53 AM

I purchased a used vehicle from a private party and three weeks later the Power Steering Pump went bad. Unfortunate, but I understand that's the risk you take any time you buy a used vehicle. I purchased the new Pump and lines and had a friend who is a Master Mechanic replace it. Whe he did, he discovered the Rack for the Rack and Pinion Steering was also bad. Probably what caused the Pump to go bad, but again I was content to simply get it fixed. However, this where the issue gets into the realm of selling a car knowingly that was unsafe to drive. The Mechanic told me he could not replace the rack because the front of the car was so badly rotted out that there nothing to reattach the new rack to if he took the bad one out. It gets worse. The cross member which provides support for everything, including the engine is part of what is so rotted out. The mechanic said he has driven some pretty bad vehicles, but absolutely would not drive this one and deemed it categorically unsafe. The engine is literally waiting to drop out the bottom at the first large bump in the road. Obviously if this happened at highway speed it could be fatal. I believe there is a law in the state of Michigan which protects consumers in situations like this. Very simply, is it legal to knowingly sell an unsafe vehicle in this state? Unfortunately, the person who did sell it clearly has no moral conscience and has no regard for the consequences that would result to the unlucky person (which was my daughter who we bought this car for to drive to college) who was driving it when the front end dropped out of it.

#2 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

Before purchasing the vehicle did you have it checked out by a mechanic? If you accept a vehicle "as is" then it is in what ever condition it is in.

#3 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

Before purchasing the vehicle did you have it checked out by a mechanic? If you accept a vehicle "as is" then it is in what ever condition it is in.

Ditto.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users