Car sold over 2 years ago in Washington state and title was not transfered

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bonniereb

Bonniereb

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:32 PM

Sold my car to a woman up North by Seattle almost 2 years ago for 750.00. A month ago I was notified that the car had been in an accident and my licence would be suspended because I didn't have insurance on the car I had sold. I mailed the licence transfer to the DOL within 3 days of the sale. At her insistence, I also typed out a bill of sale and kept a copy on my computer. I also sent The Department Of Licencing a copy of the ad I place with Craig's List with the expiration date on it. These were sent to Washington DOL along with a letter explaining the circumstances around the whole situation. I am also wondering how they managed to get tabs on the car as you have to show ID to do that. Now the lawyer from the insurance company is contacting me wanting proof of the sale, I would have thought that they would go after the driver.
I did everything that I was required to do by law and have no idea how they (the DOL) could have lost the transfer of title. Any Ideas on what I should do next? I'm waiting on a notification as to when the DOL is going to call and have a verbal discussion with me before they decide whether or not to suspend my licence or not

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,193 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:36 AM

As long as you properly notified the DOL and kept copies of the relevant paperwork, you should be ok.

#3 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

Have you notified the DOL to inform them of the transfer and update them on your current status as to the owner of the vehicle?
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users