SELLING HANDICAPPED VANS AND ADA

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 handivan

handivan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:28 AM

Would the selling of handicap vans be exempt under ADA FED LAW. Is it a unreasonable accomodation based on any undo hardship of the state or it citzens Because most states say you can only sell a certain amount of autos like North Carolina says only 5, vermont says 12.What does your state say.

#2 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,439 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

Would the selling of handicap vans be exempt under ADA FED LAW.

The federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) does not regulate the sales of vans or other equipment modified for disabled persons. As far as a limit on sales, who is being restricted in the sales of these modified vans? What is your concern — do you wish to buy such a van or sell them?

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

Could you please state your legal issue concerning this matter?

#4 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,439 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

Because most states say you can only sell a certain amount of autos like North Carolina says only 5, vermont says 12.What does your state say.

After rereading your post, I realized that you are likely referring to the laws that require auto dealers to be licensed. In NC, the sale of five or more motor vehicles in a consecutive 12 month period is one of the things that will make you a "motor vehicle dealer" and thus you'd need a license from the state to sell motor vehicles. Many states have laws that require motor vehicle dealers to be licensed, and set an amount of sales that will be deemed to make you a dealer. Nothing about these laws violates the ADA in any way nor does the ADA allow a seller any exemption from these requirements. If you want to sell vans that are modified for use by disabled persons, you'll need to comply with whatever licensing requirements exist in the state where the sale will be made.

#5 handivan

handivan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

I HAD A CAR LOT FOR 6 YEARS WHERE I SOLD HANDICAP VANS\, I TO USE A WHEELCHAIR FOR MOBILITY AND TRIED TO MOVE CAR LOT CLOSER TO MY HOME.I WAS TOLD TO PUT ALL MY INVORTORY IN MY NAME WITHIN 30 DAYS, IT COST ME ABOUT 7,000 IN HWY USE TAX. I WAS TOLD BY THE DMV OFFICAL DON'T WORRY I WILL LET YOU SELL YOUR VANS NOW I HAVE 16 CHARGES FOR SELLING VANS WITHOUT DEALERS LIN.

#6 handivan

handivan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

I put one van in my name through abandment lein i bought it for conn. it came with a conn. only affiedt not a title. i took it back to conn. and thay said i had to be a conn. citizen. so i drove back to nc the van it sat until i had to put it my name within 30 days or dmv was going to charge me with open titles. This started the conflects with the dmv inspectors. this was a felony charge for ombtaing property under false pretence and no dealer lin. would be issued by them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users