Cosigned vehicle issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rbari1

Rbari1

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:10 AM

About 3 years ago I co-signed for a vehicle with my then significant other. We split about 2 years ago, with him leaving over 10K of credit card dept (stupidly in my name) and keeping the vehicle (which I did not want). He has not paid back the debt and he has not transferred the vehicle solely into his name (by refinancing) although he has been asked to do so. I have needed to default on the cc debt and he has had issue with maintaining payments on the vehicle, both which have adversely affected my credit. He has recently asked for me to sign a document for him to be able to register the vehicle in California which I am refusing to do at this point, as it should be a perfect opportunity for him to do whatever he needs to do to put this into just his name. I should mention he is now married and I would like all ties severed.

Is it my right to not sign the registration card for the car, and what is the legal ramifications for both me in refusing to do this, and him if he has forged my signature, which I believe may have already happened. All help appreciated, as I am having difficulty locating info on the MVC site for California. I am thinking forgery, if intentional (which this would be) is considered a crime.

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,882 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:30 AM

he has not transferred the vehicle solely into his name (by refinancing)

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If the vehicle title is in both your names, he has no ability to transfer title into his name alone without you signing off on the transfer. On the other hand, if the vehicle title is already in his name alone, what do you mean when you refer to "transferr[ing] the vehicle solely into his name"?

Is it my right to not sign the registration card for the car, and what is the legal ramifications for both me in refusing to do this

I don't know what you mean when you refer to "sign[ing] the registration card." That said, you certainly can refuse to sign anything.

and him if he has forged my signature, which I believe may have already happened.

Forgery is a crime, and you're free to report any suspected crime to the police.

I am having difficulty locating info on the MVC site for California.

MVC??? If you're talking about the California Department of Motor Vehicles, the web site is www.dmv.ca.gov.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

If you know for sure that this person has forged your signature on the registration, then you may want to inform the local police department to address this issue.

#4 Rbari1

Rbari1

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:49 AM

I don't know how to find out for sure, which is why I have tried to search the California MVC web site... may need to make a call. I wasn't sure how or where to report forgery, but it seems the police would be the starting place. I just want to confirm that he did in fact sign my name before I sent anyone on a wild goose chase.

FYI- I would be more than happy to sign off on the title if he was getting this out of my name and taking sole responsibility as to no longer affect my credit!

Thanks for some clarity on this issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users