• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fedupanimallover

fedupanimallover

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

Hello,

Just a few months ago someone ran over one of my kittens and not long after that, a neighbor down the street dogs' ate another one and mauled (almost killed) yet a third. Well I own my home and decided to put a sign out (in my yard) at the road that says "Slow down
Kids, Cats,
and Dogs at Play"
And then, off to the right of that it says "I have a shot gun"

Well, we have several people that fly up and down this road and its a very bumpy, dirt road. The sign has helped for the most part but for one really mean young man.
My daughter saw him come drive by one day- hauling but- and went out to wait for him to leave. When she saw him, she called his name and asked him to slow down. She proceeded to tell him it was because we keep losing cats and the kids ride their bikes out here as well. He told her to "F" Off" that he could "drive his own car any damn way he wanted."
Tonight I go out and there is a plane white care in front of my house and a man taking a pic of the sign; I went out and asked him what he was doing and he said i have to get rid of the "I have a shot gun" comment. He said it was an open threat. I told him it was a statement, not an openn threat. I said an open threat would be "I will kill you with my shot gun if you don't slow down." He didn't like that and said it is "an open threat, take it down."
So I turned the U in gun, into an O and scribbled out the N.
My question is, is that considered an open threat? And if so, what could happen to me if I don't take it down? Can he arrest me??
Because honestly, I will make it bigger if I can have it! I know it was that guy that said something but what I am even more curious about was that it was a detective, not a uniform cop.
Any input will help, thank you!

#2 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

What state is this concerning?

#3 fedupanimallover

fedupanimallover

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

North Carolina

#4 fedupanimallover

fedupanimallover

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

I had someone tell me that was exercising my freedom of speech and that it was private property but I am not to sure about this? Someone else told me to call our local news station and the ACLU and "You might be covered by Watts v. United States (1969)...you could hold your nose and call the ACLU (!!!). Ted Nugent will be using this case, I think. However, it might be better to get Fox8 or the newspaper there to show exceeding the speed limit isnt being enforced, esp. 2 months before the election
hours ago Does this have any barring? Should I call these people?

#5 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,660 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

And then, off to the right of that it says "I have a shot gun"

What was your intent in posting this sign? Did you intend to shoot at people who didn't do as you commanded? If not, then I hardly see any legitimate purpose.

Tonight I go out and there is a plane white care in front of my house and a man taking a pic of the sign; I went out and asked him what he was doing

If you knew he was taking pictures, then that was a bit of a silly question, don't you think?

he said i have to get rid of the "I have a shot gun" comment. He said it was an open threat. I told him it was a statement, not an openn threat. I said an open threat would be "I will kill you with my shot gun if you don't slow down." He didn't like that and said it is "an open threat, take it down."

So, again, what was your intent in displaying the sign? Did you suppose random people driving by might have an interest in your gun ownership? Did you post signs informing passing drivers about other things that you own? That said, did this person show you a badge or cite any law for you?

So I turned the U in gun, into an O and scribbled out the N.

So, it said, "I have a shot go"? What is that supposed to mean? You realize this is sounding a lot like a dispute between a couple of third graders on the playground, right?

My question is, is that considered an open threat?

Apparently the guy in the car considered it to be such a thing.

Can he arrest me?

Only a law enforcement officer can arrest you (putting aside the concept of citizen's arrest), so if, in fact, this guy is a cop, yes, he can arrest you.

I am even more curious about was that it was a detective, not a uniform cop.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. If this guy was a cop, then you're asking for trouble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users