Sunig a minor in civil court

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BigEater123

BigEater123

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:35 AM

I was recently in an accident where the other party was at fault and got the ticket for "failure to yield". I was driving down a main road and a car stopped in the lane next to me to let her pull out from a side street and i did not see her. She pulled out into the main road without looking if there was a car coming and i hit her. The accident report (which i have) says that she had ***** insurance. I called there and the is NO record of a policy for her. So i had to pay my OWN $500 deductable, even though she was at fault. Now i would like to sue her in civil court for the $500 for the deductable and the $500 for the rental car i had to get. The only thing is, she is a minor (17). Can i sue her in civil court or do i have to go after her dad, whom i dont have any information on.
Please help!

Edited by FindLaw_AHK, 10 August 2012 - 08:56 AM.
This post has been edited to remove personal or identifying information. -Moderator

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,238 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

The appropriate procedure for suing a minor depends on the laws of your unidentified state. Same for whether the minor's parents might be vicariously liable.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

What state did the accident occur?

#4 BigEater123

BigEater123

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:27 AM

Michigan

#5 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

Have you read the Michigan State: 600.2913 Minor maliciously or willfully destroying property or causing bodily harm or injury to person; recovery of damages from parents?

#6 BigEater123

BigEater123

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

I just want to know if I can sue her (the minor). I don't want to have to sue her parents because I don't know their names and I already have her info. It would be easier for me to sue the minor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users