Fence ownership

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JMMlaw4

JMMlaw4

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

The fence on my property line is at least 20 yr old. I built it where the old fence used to be. My neighbor bought the next door property in a forclosure several years ago. He now is trying to claim my fence and 6-8 inches of my land are his. Any actual boundaries were established 150 yr ago and city officials will not re survey because of this.
Would adverse possession shut him up? He's a real pain. Location: Omaha, NME

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,554 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

He now is trying to claim my fence and 6-8 inches of my land are his.

What does "trying to claim" mean? Did you mean that he actually is claiming this? If so, I assume you understand that it isn't true just because he claims it. Right?

Any actual boundaries were established 150 yr ago and city officials will not re survey because of this.

There is no conceiveable reason why city officials would involve themselves in a boundary line dispute between two private property owners.

Would adverse possession shut him up?

I haven't the slightest idea what you might mean by this or what might cause a person I don't know to shut up. Adverse possession is a legal doctrine in which one acquires ownership of another's property by openly occupying the property for a certain period of time without the permission of the legal owner.

Has your neighbor explained the factual basis of his claim? If not, have you asked? How is he asserting this claim? Has he filed any sort of legal action against you?

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

What evidence has the neighbor produced to show he/she has a valid claim? You may want to visit the Real Estate Law Center and read Neighbors. For clarification, consult with a local Omaha, Nebraska Real Estate Lawyer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users