Fireworks fun

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sennex

Sennex

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:58 PM

First: Fireworks are completely legal in Alabama, which is where this took place.

Second
(This is the write up of event thats I made as a log of the event, as I knew it would go south)

July 4th, 2012
Apprx 8pm
Went out side to set off fireworks for my son and wife. Neighbors were outside in their driveway, setting off fireworks in the street. There were two teenage boys, a Man, and a woman.
The two boys and the man were on the sidewalk setting off fireworks in the street. My wife and I joined them, and shared some of the fireworks we had.
One of the fireworks exploded, flipped onto its side, and started spraying around the street. One of its sparklers went into our neighbors garage, and hit the woman.
She immediately went inside, followed by her husband.
He came out approx. 10 minutes later stating she was fine, but that they were done for the night. My wife and I packed up ours as well and went inside.
The husband repeatedly stated his wife was fine but burnt, she did not need to go to “Urgent Care or the ER”.
We looked into the back of the Toyota Highlander for burn marks, but did not see any at that time.
Several minutes passed as both of our families cleaned up the mess we had made.
Before going inside for the night, I asked the husband one last time about his wife, he assured me she was fine and was lightly burned near her hip, chest, and left breast, but it wasn’t anything serious.

July 11th , 2012
Approx 6pm
While carrying in groceries after work, the wife walked across the street with her dog, to speak with me.
I asked how she was feeling and she said fine and that she was feeling much better. She stated that it was no big deal and that she felt bad for what had happened because we all had stopped our fireworks.
We joked about how it was funny that she got hurt when she was sitting furthest away from where her family and mine were setting them off.
We parted ways shortly thereafter

July 15th
Approx 530

Neighbor and wife come over, knock on the door and hand us a bill for 150$ (Receipt of payment, not any actual DR paperwork) for a doctor visit on the 10th
Also verbally told my wife and I it would cost 300 to fix the interior of their jeep as it was burnt.

I told them I would need an actual quote, not a verbal quote for any sort of documented Jeep damage, I also requested a Doctor to provide paperwork on what they actually treated and not just a payment receipt.

Third:

The event clearly happened, I was the one that lit the fuse on the firework that did this.
I never saw burn marks on the car, nor on the Neighbors Wife. She spoke to me, as did the husband, and said everything was fine. I don't have an issue with paying the 450$, but how do I know this will be the end of it? Am I even liable for this?

Basically how do I protect my family from having these folks come over here every few weeks for more money? My wife was trying to cut them a check right then and there until I took the pen out of her hand.

Thank you for your help!

#2 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,619 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

Basically how do I protect my family from having these folks come over here every few weeks for more money? My wife was trying to cut them a check right then and there until I took the pen out of her hand.

Thank you for your help!

Nothing you can do to stop them from asking for whatever they want. However, you may see a lawyer to draft up a settlement agreement that basically says that your payment of $X fully satisfies any and all liability you have as a result of this incident. That way, if they sued you, you'd have the settlement as your defense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users