Vandalism

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AHL0243

AHL0243

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:03 AM

I live in Denver, CO. My apartment was broken into through a bedroom window. The suspect apparently threw a brick through the window, entered the premises, and stole various items. Now my landlord is charging me for replacement of the window. Is this legal?

#2 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,114 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:09 AM

The landlord has no lawful reason to expect you to pay for someone else breaking your window.  I'd write the landlord a letter saying I won't pay for a third party's bad acts/damage to the place, and note that if he applies any rent received to this charge and issues you a notice to quit or pay because he did such a thing that I'll be filing a petition in the local landlord-tenant court about it.  (Even if by some chance he has a provision in a lease that says he's free to do this, a court won't find it enforceable.)

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users