total loss claim

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bowzer

bowzer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

I live in NC where I was rear-ended, which resulted in the other drivers ins. co. deeming my car a total loss. They use the company ***** to determine what my car is "worth" and I disagree with their figure. (**** says $2000) The comparable cars in my area are about $1000.00 more than that. I provided the ins. co. with the asking price of 4 cars I found to use to compare to mine and I explained that I would like to be compensated with the amount of money that it takes to replace my car. The ins. co. said this is what **** says your car is worth and that's "just the way it goes". I also just got my county tax records for the car and they appraise it at $2750.00. I will send that document in to the ins. co. as more "fuel" to show them that they are low-balling my car. Do you have any recommendations on how to go about getting them to accept my proposed value instead of them just saying "This is what ***** says it's worth, so that is what we will give you."?

\r\n\r\n[This post has been\r\nedited to remove personal or identifying information. -Moderator] \r\n\r\n

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,812 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:49 AM

We have no way of knowing whether or how you can successfully negotiate with some unknown insurer.  If you don't like the insurer's offer, you're free to sue the driver who rear ended you in small claims court.

#3 Meghan298729

Meghan298729

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

I argued back and forth with the insurance company for a month. I decided that talking to the claims representative they assign you cannot usually help you get a better claim- they are only allowed to offer so much. I would try going over their head and asking for their manager or supervisor. Make sure you send the documentation directly to them also- they will try to tell you they need time to get your paperwork together from the other representative. I was able to get another 2,000 on my vehicle that they tried to compare to a basic model from another county with lower rates. Hopefully you have recorded the amount of times you have called and sent over information, that also adds fuel that you have been in contact with the office and unable to reach an agreement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users