private party bar-tending

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rebelyank

rebelyank

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

If I bartend at a private event ie; a wedding reception at a beach house in South Carolina and I DO NOT purchase the alcohol but follow to the best of my ability the SC laws regarding alcohol service, ID-ing, not serving a visibly intoxicated person, etc., (I am TIPS certified in both SC and NC) but something happens that COULD be alcohol related, can I be held responsible? I would like to go into business as a mobile/private party bartender to supplement my income but am nervous about being sued. I would like to recommend or require my potential clients that they purchase a one time event liability insurance policy but the reality is, I'm not sure who that covers-them or me?

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,067 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:17 AM

rebelyank said...

If . . . something happens that COULD be alcohol related, can I be held responsible?\r\n
\r\n

That's a phenomenally vague and abstract question, so the only possible answer is yes.

\r\n
rebelyank said...

I would like to go into business as a mobile/private party bartender to supplement my income but am nervous about being sued.\r\n
\r\n

When you start your own business, one thing you would be absolutely foolish not to do is consult with an insurance agent to make sure you have insurance coverage that is appropriate to the risks you might face.  Lawsuits are a reasonably foreseeable consequence of being in business for yourself.  Even if you ultimately win, defending a lawsuit can be expensive, and one of the most significant benefits that insurance provides is that it pays for the cost of a lawyer to defend you.

\r\n
rebelyank said...

I would like to recommend or require my potential clients that they purchase a one time event liability insurance policy but the reality is, I'm not sure who that covers-them or me?\r\n
\r\n

Insurance is a matter of contract.  Beyond the world of cookie cutter insurance policies for homeowners and auto liability, the scope of insurance is subject to negotiation between the insured and the insurer.  Certainly, however, if there are generic "one time event liability insurance polic[ies]" available, finding out what they cover would be a simple matter of contact an agent who represents a carrier who issues such policies and asking whom or what they cover.

#3 rebelyank

rebelyank

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:50 AM

Thank you PG1067 Yes, I am in the process of taking the steps to look at insurance to cover me as a business owner. Sound advice-will be taken!! \r\n\r\nTanks again!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users