Slow pitch softbal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CoachPreston16

CoachPreston16

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

I am a resident of Maryland. I work for a high school and coach the varsity football team. We are having a slow pitch softball tournament to raise money for our kids to go to camp. I am worried that something will happen at the tournament and someone will get hurt. I was planning on doing a waiver that says that the school, myself, and the owners of the field we are using are not held responsible for anything that happens negatively. I am going to have the player print and sign their name and write their birthdate. At the same sheet I am going to put the manager as the person that witnesses the signing. Is this document enough to cover me for anything that may happened? Is there anything that you can suggest for me to add?CoachPreston16

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,395 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:02 AM

One cannot comment intelligently on the sufficiency of a waiver without reading it.  Since this is a school sponsored activity, you need to discuss it with the principal or a vice principal and possibly run it by the local school board (if it's a public school) or the school's attorney.  Any private school probably has an attorney that it could call and have prepare a simple waiver.  This is not something you should be doing yourself.

#3 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58,982 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:42 AM

Those waivers aren't in a legal sense worth the paper they're printed on, in the end (though they do serve to sway someone who doesn't understand that fact).  (I presume you get kids' parents to sign something of the kind with regard to participation on the football team.  A minor doesn't have legal standing to waive ... anything.)

\r\n

Ultimately, what you do is discuss this with the school admin folks.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users