upcoming court date

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nidaho

nidaho

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:56 AM

My son left home with his suitcase, while I was sleeping. He texted me that he's okay but won't tell me where he is. My friend told me that I can be charged with aiding, if he misses his court dates that are next wk., unless I report him missing. Is that true? I'm in Idaho. And what will he be facing if he doesn't go to his court date? Both charges are for petty theft.

#2 LegalwriterOne

LegalwriterOne

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,604 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:03 AM

Is he an adult or a juvenile?  If he's an adult, he's on his own.  If he's a juvenile,  you should contact his attorney if he has one.  Other wise you need to advise the juvenile court or juvenile probation that he has left the home and his whereabouts are unknown.  The other option is to show up to court on his court date and tell them you don't know where he is....

#3 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,392 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:40 AM

nidaho said...

My friend told me that I can be charged with aiding, if he misses his court dates that are next wk., unless I report him missing. Is that true?

Is your friend a lawyer?  Anything could happen, but to whom does your friend think you need to report this?  What are your son's court dates for?

#4 nidaho

nidaho

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:25 AM

He's an adult. No, my friend isn't a lawyer. She thought I should report him missing to the Sheriff's Dept. His court dates are this Thurs. & Fri. He has a mental disorder, which makes it hard for him to focus, when he doesn't take his daily meds.

#5 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,686 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:48 AM

Er, but he ain't "missing".  Refusing to tell you where he is isn't "missing".  I'd tell the "friend" that unless and until (s)he gets her law degree, to keep her unhelpful legal commentary to him/herself.  :)

We cannot know from here what he'll face if he refuses to show up to court other than a warrant.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

#6 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,392 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

He is no longer your responsibility, but you certainly can report what has occurred to whomever you like.  If he's using a mobile phone, he won't be too hard to track down, and the authorities may get him some help with his mental issues.

#7 nidaho

nidaho

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

What are the penalties in Idaho, for missing your hearing for the jury trial?

#8 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:37 AM

Is this a criminal trial? What was this hearing for?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users