Meaning Of Letters before Case Numbers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 southercaliinquirer

southercaliinquirer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:31 PM

Hi, I have a question about Case Numbers.. what is the meaning and also the difference between the letters CCN, CN, and also SCN.. I know of someone who has 2 different drug charges one case/charge is labeled CN#####, and then the other case/charge is labeled SCN###### .. Obviously one is more serious than the other, but what do the letters mean, and what is the difference in the severity of the charge/ sentence? Does it have anything to do with being sentenced to state prison, over county jail?

Thank you for your time .. its appreciated..

#2 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,381 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:44 AM

No way to know without knowing the state and the court. Sometimes the letters indicate the court or the judge to which the case has been assigned. Or it may indicate the stage of the process that the case is at. Each court handles assignment of case numbers differently; there is no universal rule for it. Your best bet is to ask the court clerk what they mean. If you really want to know the status of the cases, go to the court and look at the files.

#3 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,334 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:21 AM

southercaliinquirer said...

what is the meaning and also the difference between the letters CCN, CN, and also SCN.

Obviously, it depends on the state(s) and locality(ies) where the case(s) are pending.

Obviously one is more serious than the other

That's not the least bit obvious to me (simply based on the prefixes "CCN," "CN," and "SCN").

Does it have anything to do with being sentenced to state prison, over county jail?

The case number is assigned when charges are filed, so it's not going to change depending on the sentence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users