civil court judgement appeal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rhondahoffren

rhondahoffren

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

I live in the state of Mississippi, Leakesville, Greene County. I just left civil court where the judge ruled in favor of my mother, that she did not sell me a car that I have owned for over a year. They lied in court, had never gave me any paper work then resold my car. The judge did not even look at my evidence, sworn affidavits and text messages and witnesses testimonies. I feel that I had an unfair trial. And the judge did say that ***** illegally sold me the vehicle and that in his opinion he would have to pay me back the $2,000.00. But I was have to proceed in a different court. Can I appeal this decision and ask that the district attorney take over the case due to my father committing fraud? I also feel that if I had a chance to prove my case that the outcome of the title ownership may have been ruled differently.

[This post has been
edited to remove personal or identifying information. -Moderator]

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,327 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

rhondahoffren said...

The judge did not even look at my evidence, sworn affidavits and text messages and witnesses testimonies.

Affidavits and unauthenticated text messages are not admissible evidence.  Are you saying that the judge did not allow your witnesses to testify?  By the way, I'm assuming this was a bench trial (i.e., the judge made the decision), not a jury trial.  Correct?

rhondahoffren said...

Can I appeal this decision and ask that the district attorney take over the case due to my father committing fraud?

You can appeal, but the district attorney does not "take over" civil lawsuits.  If you believe a crime was committed, you can report it to the police and/or the DA.

In all candor, what I get from your post is that you didn't have a lawyer and didn't learn the applicable law or procedural and evidentiary rules and lost the case for that reason more than because your case didn't have merit.  I suggest you consult with a local attorney to review the case and see if anything can be done at this point.

#3 rhondahoffren

rhondahoffren

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

yes this was a civil matter and a judge made the ruling alone. Although I had several witnesses to state that they were aware that I purchased the vehicle, being relatives to both parties and friends of my mom and dad the judge did not let me address it and yes my father sold me the vehicle and not the owner which is his wife. The judge said that ***** illegally sold me a vehicle. Are you saying that

[This post has been moved to the appropriate discussion. - Moderator]

[This post has been
edited to remove personal or identifying information. -Moderator]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users