Pregnant teen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 angrymom66

angrymom66

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

I have a 16yr old daughter who is pregnant.  We live in AZ.  Once she delivers the child is she considered an adult?  If not do I have a say in what happens with the baby?  Such as where the baby will live.

#2 Ted_from_Texas

Ted_from_Texas

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

The age of majority in Arizona is 18.  Your daughter will not be considered a legal adult until then unless she marries or enlists in the active military.  Whether she has a child of her own is irrelevant.

What happens to the baby (assuming your daughter carries it to term) is a matter to be determined between your daughter, the baby's father and the court.  Of course as a parent you may use whatever persuasive abilities you may have to sway your daughter, but technically you have no legal say in the matter.  If she elects to keep the baby, then it will live wherever she does, which is presumably with one or both of her own parents.

#3 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,220 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:09 AM

angrymom66 said...

Once she delivers the child is she considered an adult?

Of course not.  This is not an uncommon question, and I really have to wonder where folks get the idea that a child magically becomes an adult solely by giving birth.

angrymom66 said...

If not do I have a say in what happens with the baby? Such as where the baby will live.

As a pure matter of law, grandparents have no say regarding what happens with a grandchild.  However, because you have control over your minor child, you necessarily have some degree of control over your child's child.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users