Jump to content


interfering with visits

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 checkonit


    New Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

Divorced finalized in FL. Someone is interfering with my daughter seeing her father. He wants a continued relationship with his daughter very much, but a new girlfriend in his life has demanded he completely walk away, and not see her at all. I continue to push to make it happen so that the father/daughter bond is not damaged. The girlfriend, then places more demands, demands he cancel every single time (many many times, completing messing up my committments to work, etc. and costing me thousands and thousands of lost dollars in deposits, etc. In emails, she has said plain and simple, she insists he completely disown his daughter, she has no moral compass to understand the amazing hurt and damage that is being done to his daughter. What legal action can be taken against her to STOP this behavior that is resulting in a father being forced to stop seeing his daughter?

#2 Ted_from_Texas


    Platinum Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,228 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:38 AM

Visitation is the noncustodial parent's legal right, but not a legal obligation.  You cannot force your ex to maintain a relationship with his child.  Presumably your ex is a competent adult and it's up to him whether or not to do what his girfriend says.  If he does that's sad for you and your daughter, but there it is.  Your problem is with him and not the girlfriend.

Hard to see how you could be out "thousands of dollars" because he fails to observe his visitation schedule, but never mind.  It the situation is working a hardship on you and/or your child, you can go back to court to have the schedule modified appropriately.  As a minimum, the court can impose a requirement that he give you timely notice when a visit won't take place as scheduled, and to reimburse you for reasonable out-of-pocket expenses you incur as a result.  It's then up to you to have a "Plan B" in place to fall back on when and if that happens.  Consult local counsel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users