Humiliation of IEP Student

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 npgmom

npgmom

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:03 AM

My son's charter school in Florida allows the students to check out laptops and Ipads overnight. It is a mainstream school, but my son has an IEP based upon an Emotionally Handicapped disability. He is in 7th grade. He looked at some racy websites that were not blocked, but the school tracks all student activity. They have expelled him from their program.

This school has student "interns" in the office that access students' personal information. Someone apparently looked at the details of my son's discipline and now he is being humiliated and tormented by other students on Facebook and in person. What he did was wrong, but I don't think they were entitled to basically ruin the kid's life and subject him to public ridicule.

Any suggestions or assistance welcome.

#2 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:05 AM

What would you like done about this situation?

FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#3 DumplinHoneychild

DumplinHoneychild

Bronze Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:18 AM

His life's not ruined. Have him watch a whole bunch of "It Gets Better" videos on youtube. And notify (in writing is always good) the school administration that students may be inappropriately accessing student records in violation of privacy laws. Oh, and maybe monitor his internet usage and make sure he understands that there are often adverse consequences associate with behavior. Sure 7th grade boys will sometimes do things they aren't supposed despite the parents' best efforts, but they have be held accountable regardless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users