parental rights

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 s9d00ap

s9d00ap

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

I live in Mo.  My girlfriend just gave birth to our son; however, she broke up with me immediatly upo learning   of the pregnancy.  Although I have made many any attempts to reconcile, she has rejected my pleas. I received a dwi on 12/28/11 and entered rehab in Miami Fl. which is where I am now.  She gave birth and her mother sent me photos and corresponded a little.  my girlfriend is now telling me that she did not list me as thefather on the birth certificate and i will not be permitted to see my son upon my return.  She has rejected all offers to accompany her to dr's appts.  I am currently unemployed but have jobs waiting upon my return to Mo and would love to contribute to my son's expenses.  I plan on offering to pay at least half of the medical bills.  Cari ad I have been in a relationship for 5 years. 

What rights to do i have as the father?                             

#2 GuessAgain

GuessAgain

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,082 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

Until the court declares you the father, you are stuck with whatever rights she may allow you.  Get a lawyer and petition to be declared the father with shared custody rights and visitation.

#3 Ted_from_Texas

Ted_from_Texas

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

None whatsoever, until you have been to court to establish your paternity and obtain a formal, enforceable custody and support order ("parenting plan") that specifies your and the mother's respective rights and obligations.  Until that happens, the mother is presumed to have sole legal and physical custody and gets to call all the shots regarding visitation.

A local family law attorney can advise you how Missouri laws apply to your particular circumstances, and how to enforce your rights after they have been awarded by the court.  I suggest you consult with one as soon as you get back to Missouri.

#4 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,395 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:47 AM

s9d00ap said...

I live in Mo. . . .  I received a dwi on 12/28/11 and entered rehab in Miami Fl. which is where I am now.

So which is it?  MO or FL?

s9d00ap said...

What rights to do i have as the father?

When a child is born to an unmarried woman, the mother has all parental/custodial rights until such time as paternity is established and the court enters an order regarding custody, visitation, and support.  Until and unless that happens, you will have no enforceable rights regarding the child.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users