Jump to content


how can i get collection calls to stop

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lawfullycurious


    New Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

New Jersey-- My boyfriend has lived with me off and on for 3 years. When he moved in, he had horrible credit. I have been helping him clean it up and it is almost perfect now. A few months ago a collection agency started calling my house saying that he owes money from 2001. He claims that he has no idea what this money was for and from what we have seen, it is not anywhere in his credit report. We haven't been answering the phone, but they call constantly and it is really annoying. It is my house, not my boyfriends. Do I have any rights to get these people to stop calling? and what can I say to them to make them stop? My boyfriend doesn't want to give them any information about himself.

#2 Insons_Insontis



  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

You must send them a cease communication letter.

1.  Identify who they are and look them up at your secretary of state (online) to get their registered address.

2.  Send them a certified letter return receipt requested (A certified letter where you get a return stub proving that they have received and signed for the letter), your post office will help you with that.

3.  The letter has to be sent from your boyfriend to the collection agency demanding they cease communication pursuant to FDCPA Section 805©.  Google it and read section 805, 806, 807 and 809.


123 My Street
My City, My State 00000

Naughty Collection Agency
123 Their Street (as registered with secretary of state)
Their City, Their State 00000

March 12, 2012

Re:  Your Account # 12345
        Balance Claimed:  $1,000,000.00

Dear Sirs:

This letter is to be construed as a cease communication order pursuant to FDCPA Section 805©.


Boyfriend   (no signature is necessary but feel free to sign it if you wish)

#3 DumplinHoneychild


    Silver Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:53 AM

Check out the Federal Trade Communication website (FTC.gov) for even more information regarding debt collection. Note, do not admit liability or make a partial payment. If the debt is from 2001, a statute of limitations in the relevant jurisdiction may operate to bar a lawsuit against you to collect the debt.  However, the paying or offering to pay a small amount of it may be sufficient to reinstate the debt. Here's another website with helpful information.


#4 knort4


    Diamond Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:51 AM

If you have voice mail or an answering machine, also contact them by phone to inform them to stop calling and that any future calls will be recorded so that your attorney can take legal action.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users