9 replies to this topic

#1 longlake

longlake

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:54 AM

interested in two things:

1. caselaw i can read regarding psychological bullying by coaches

2. is there an attorney, preferably in MI, that has experience bringing and winning cases against MI public schools' coaches who cross the line into bullying?

thanks,

marc

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,641 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:55 AM

1. This isn't a question.  If you're expecting someone to conduct case research for you, that won't happen.  Case research can be difficult, tedious, time-consuming, and expensive.  If you want case research done, you'll need to do it yourself or hire an attorney.

2. Finding a lawyer who has brought or won a case of the sort you describe will be like finding a needle in a haystack.  Unless this is simply a matter of random curiosity, you should seek consultations with three or four local attorneys who handle education law matters.

#3 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,641 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:55 AM

Note, by the way, that "bullying" isn't necessarily legally wrongful.

#4 longlake

longlake

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:13 AM

I can't believe you spent all that typing to not help me.  You must be an unemployed attorney not busy with any clients...

#5 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,641 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:43 AM

So...let me get this straight.  You don't like my answer, so the appropriate thing to do is make a personal attack based on total ignorance?  How very 4th grade of you.

I'm sorry if you didn't find my response to be helpful, but I find it telling that no one else has stepped in here and said anything I wrote is wrong.

#6 tank05

tank05

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:26 AM

when is it considered bullying from a coach? 

#7 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:45 AM

longlake said...

interested in two things:

1. caselaw i can read regarding psychological bullying by coaches

2. is there an attorney, preferably in MI, that has experience bringing and winning cases against MI public schools' coaches who cross the line into bullying?

Did you get this issue resolved?

#8 Bball_Mom

Bball_Mom

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

I wish this had more information because I have the same issue with my son's coach.  I was hoping to find a post similiar to my experience and I especially would have like to have seen the question expanded upon about when is it considered bullying from a coach?  from Tank05.

#9 Ted_from_Texas

Ted_from_Texas

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,003 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

"bullying" means different things to different people.  What, exactly, is this coach doing that you consider him a bully?  Is he taking the kid's lunch money?  Making threats of physical violence?  Hazing?  Please elaborate.

#10 Bball_Mom

Bball_Mom

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:01 AM

I agree that bullying does mean different things to different people but does it have to be something as blatant as hitting, or hazing? It's a long story but basically relentless picking on him and singling him out for the entire season.  The school says that it was a personality conflict and I would agree the Coach just did not like my son and he knew that he held all the power as far as play time and benching him.  Regardless, of other team members saying he deserved to play, or that they all said the Coach did not like him and basically harrassed him for the entire season.   Early in the season when players and parents came to us and said their sons were upset with what was going on between the Coach and our son.  They all said he was treated unfairly, picked on, and was being benched for the dumbest reasons.  BTW they are not chasing foul balls, and not volunteering to coach first base.  He randomly asked if someone would do it and then punished my son for not volunteering.  We asked for a meeting with the Athletic director.  In this meeting neither the coach nor the AD had an excuses as to why the coach was treating my son this way.  We had several instances that we witnessed for ourselves that players were not treated fairly.  I will admit that the coach said our son "had a bad attitude" but what my issue is is that HE defined that with a incident that was ridiculous which was a shaking of the head going to the dugout after striking out.  He did not say anything, or throw anything just a head shake but yet all season long other kids struck their bat, threw helmets, and said things to umpires but yet were not disciplined.  My question to you is bullying is hard to define but if it affected my son in his academics, sleep, and eating habits to the point where I had to seek out a therapist doesn't that tell the school that something beyond regular disciplining and coaching happended here? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users