medical record retention and disposal la
1 reply to this topic
Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:49 AM
Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:52 AM
Keep in mind that these are minimum requirements and there may be other laws requiring the facilities to maintain the records longer.
In the case of a physician dying, quitting or moving, there are requirements for notice of such so that patients are able to have their records transferred to another physician. This length of time can be fairly short.
There are disciplinary actions and fines for failure to maintain records.
Below are several resources on medical record retention for Florida:
- Florida's General Records Schedule GS4 for Public Hospitals, Health Care Facilities & Medical Providers (dlis.dos.state.fl.us)
- HCA Record Retention Schedule - Medical/Facility Records (ec.hcahealthcare.com)
- Risk Management FAQ (magmutual.com)
- Your Medical Record Rights in Florida (ihcrp.georgetown.edu)
- Fla. Stat. 456.057: Ownership and control of
patient records; report or copies of records to be furnished (leg.state.fl.us)
- Fla. Stat. 400.611(2): Interdisciplinary records of care; confidentiality (leg.state.fl.us)
- Fla. Admin. Code 64B8-10 Medical Records Retention, Disposition, Reproduction (flrules.org)
- Fla. Stat. 458.331(1)(m): Grounds for disciplinary
action; action by the board and department (flsenate.gov)
- Fla. Stat. 95.11(4)(: Limitations other than for the
recovery of real property (flsenate.gov)
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users