Disturbing the Peace

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 peanut223

peanut223

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:56 AM

Could you tell me the legal definition of Disturbing the Peace in the State of Tennessee.  Does this law only apply to people or can a person be held accountable for their dog barking and disturbing the neighbors?

I was told by a friend that this law doesn't cover dog barking.

#2 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,686 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:12 AM

Howsabout asking local law enforcement?  They would know whether the local city/county has a noise ordinance that's relevant in terms of citing folks (I seriously doubt this would involve a criminal act/misdeameanor as implied by "disturbing the peace" however).  If there's no noise ordinance locally, I'm afraid you'd need to lobby the local government to pass one.  Meanwhile, you'd also have to talk with a local civil litigation attorney and be prepared to spend money if you didn't want to wait for such an ordinance to pass (if it ever would) and pursue a civil nuisance claim.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users