Wrongful Termination

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Braveheart1122

Braveheart1122

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:36 AM

I am a 41 year old Female Property Manager who was terminated w/o cause on July 14, 2008.  I was actively employed for almost 4 years w/ this company. The Owner and Regional Mgr walked in one day and said that they could no longer justify to the investors why our property wasn't filled to capacity and that they were making changes. Evidently that was me. Not  the leasing agent who happened to be responsible for sales, but me. I have never had any disciplinary action for performance in the past and had no indication that performance was an issue. I have a very good record other than one complaint from a resident for being rude - that's inevitable when someone wants to break property rules and they don't get their way.  The owner recently "came on to" the leasing agent (Female) while he was inebriated on the premises and I believe to cover himself, gave her the opportunity (No Property Mgmt experience) at my expense. Had I known I wasn't performing up to standards, I would have moved mountains to improve our position. I lost my job for a function another employee is responsible for.

As a recourse, I was offered Salary Continuation through the end of August which they now reneged on and only paid me for 4 weeks. If performance was an issue, why offer me a severance agreement (of course not in writing)?

Nevertheless, I'm not only an employee but a resident. One of the perks was free rent. I'm now being told I have 30 days to leave my home that I have had for 4 yrs. Yet, the leasing Agent last year who was terminated was allowed to stay for 3 months.

I'm working diligently to be employed since I'm now out of a job and home. I feel this was a wrongful termination and feel discriminated against possibly because I'm over 40. I don't know what my rights are and need some guidance.

I would appreciate any consideration or direction.

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:24 PM

You need to look at your State laws or call your local Labor Board or the U.S. Labor Board.

What State do you LIve In. In did you make a Copy of the Ck for 4 weeks

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:33 AM

New York State

Havent cashed the check yet and have copies.

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:36 AM

You need to go to your local Labor Board

#5 xcribe

xcribe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:23 PM

#6 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,919 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:39 AM

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

#7 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,919 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:41 AM

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

#8 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:08 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users